Torrential, Elemental Shaman

Even Baddier Baddies
Torrential
User

Torrential, Elemental Shaman

Postby Torrential » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Player information:
- Age & Location: 26. I live in a town surrounded by Corn in Illinois. Oh, we have some soy beans too. This is exciting shit here, people.
- Usual Play Times (Server Time): I can be on from 6:30 until 12:30 most week nights and just about any time on a weekend. I can raid later on weekdays from time to time but it’s not something I’d want to do often. For new progression would be fine.
- Number of Testicles: Two.
- Can you attend raids on these days:
-- Monday: Yes
-- Tuesday: Yes
-- Wednesday: Yes
-- Thursday: Yes
-- Friday (optional): Yes
-- Saturday (optional): Yes
-- Sunday: Yes
- Do any others have access to your account? No
- Do you use a blizzard authenticator? If no, why? Yes
- How long have you played WoW: 3 months in the fall of ‘04. Roughly 2 months just after Naxx was released. Played in BC form launch until a couple months after Sunwell was released. Have played for all of Wrath.
- Endgame experience (What bosses have you killed):
Vanilla: Everything up to but no including C’thun, but none of it mattered. See below
BC: Up to but not including Brut.
Wrath: Up to countless hours of H-Halion and H-LK attempts but no kills

Character Information:
- Name, & Class: Torrential, Shaman

- Race & why did you choose it: Space Cow, it was the only alliance race for shaman. If accepted I’d go Orc when transferring.

- Link to Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/draka/torrential/

- Can you describe the ruckus?
Is this the reason for everybody drinking the kool aid?

- Professions and why did you choose them:
Blacksmith and Leatherworking. Because they provide a raid boost. I had JC but when they complicated things it became unwieldy for me to change pieces of gear fight by fight like I was doing so I swapped to BS.

- Spec, Dual spec. How often do you play other specs?
Elemental, Resto off spec. I played all of BC as Elemental and all of Wrath as resto. Being a hybrid class I’d have no issue with healing on certain encounters but I do not want to play main spec Resto.

- Explain your choice of gear for main & offspecs:
My Ele gear is the result of me collecting off-set gear. I raided as Resto for Wrath. So the reason for my gear is ‘that’s what I could get,’ as sad as it is in some spots. This is what my Resto gear looked like when my guild quit raiding. http://www.wowhead.com/profile=21747621

I don’t think there was ever a choice in gear for resto. Haste was king and mp5 was worthless so my gear was the result of those facts and what dropped. I typically let casters take all the non-mail armor before me so some pieces never made it.

- What glyphs do you use for each spec and why:
For elemental I use the glyphs shown except I’d use Flametounge weapon over Flameshock. The flameshock glyph is there from having some fun on the dummies. FS durations over a minute are amusing.

As for why I’d say because no other glyphs are even decent. If a fight is going to be long enough (at least 6.5 minutes or so) and allow for good use of a dumbass pet then I’d replace FT Weapon with the Fire Ele glyph.

For my major glyphs the only glyphs I’m not using that would be helpful at all would be Hex and maybe Fire Nova and Stoneclaw. All three of those are pretty specific in their application though. If I were to use one for something I’d replace Thunder.

- If you are applying as a DPS, what is your normal rotation?
FS Up, Lava Burst, Earth Shock if LS is at 7 (maybe hold to 8 or 9 if movement is coming up), Lightning Bolt

I don’t think Unleash Weapon will have a place in the stand-still rotation but it will be nice to use during movement.

- If you are applying as a healer, what spells do you use & when/why? N/A

- Highest PvP Rank on this character (vanilla & arena titles):
2000 something in Season 1 in 5s, 2111 in season 3 in 5s. Both as elemental. PvP was never a focus.

- Prior guild(s) & your reasons for leaving:
I have been in Delusions of Grandeur on Draka since just about the time Naxx was released. I had played before but only casual/pvp. DoG was run by some people I knew outside of WoW and my intent was to play in BC so my raiding in vanilla was limited to just being a filler for some AQ40 runs.

When BC launched I leveled a space-cow shaman quickly and became a core raider. While Mag was still a big deal the GM decided to step down and I took over. I was GM through the start of Sunwell when I finally decided to let somebody else try and fix the issues DoG had. I stayed as a raider but after three weeks it was decided to just shut down the guild.

A few weeks before Wrath I sent out a mass-PM to roughly 15 people from DoG's BC core to start up DoG again. We started with about 8-10 people. We had 25 in time to chase just behind the guild that leveled fastest on our server. By the time Ulduar was out we were the clear #1 on the server. Despite shutting our doors to raiding on Sept. 7th we're still #1 despite not having a LK HM or Halion HM kill. That gives you an idea of the state of our server.

That gives a basic history of me in WoW. I like to think I did an OK job guild/raid leading but came up short twice.

Other Information:
- A Screenshot of your character's UI:

Obviously not in a raid setting but the only differences would be DXE bars on the right (long
timers higher and farther out, short timers closer to my character), and grid would be full. My mini map, the menu bar, and those various misc. buttons in the bottom left are all a mess due to the patch breaking some mods I used. It’s a functional UI, just not pretty for now.

- WWS/Wowmeter/Worldoflogs reports (not optional):
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/why96j9w4k7t0wh0/

This is a WoL of a PuG I did. As my guild stopped raiding Sep. 6th and I was Resto then anyway this was the only way to get any parse at all. I admit both that it’s normal mode and that it shows room for improvement beyond my gear.

As for it being normal mode there’s not much I can do about that beyond joining a guild, which I’m trying to do as you can see(Granted I could join a random guild on my server doing most of the hard modes but I’m not a fan of the idea of joining a guild with the full intent to bail soon). As for my performance it was the first time I have played Elemental since BC except on Hodir. I am fully confident that by the time real Cata raiding starts I would be fully acclimated to Elemental again.

- Alts & their name/level:
Torrentor 80 DK, Torrentia 80 Warlock, Torrenta 7something Priest plus various low level alts.

- Out of game contact information (AIM/MSN/etc):
[email protected] or OdinTGE on AIM. I check the email most of the day but the AIM only while at home.

- How did you find us? Is there anyone you know in Simple Math?:
WoWprogress, and no, not that I know of.

- Why Simple Math? Is there anything else you'd like to tell us?
Honest reason: You’re a high quality guild looking for an ele shaman with a schedule I can raid on.

Honest yet ultimately not as important as schedule/quality reasons: You’re web site is tits. You have MS Paint in your app. You mention a loud and offensive vent environment. To be clear I don’t think I’m loud or offensive but it’s an environment I prefer over some of the more stodgey sounding things I’ve read on ‘About’ pages.

I’ll just add that I know my gear is shit and my recent experience at elemental is smellier shit. Gear, however, is all getting replaced soon and I would not bother applying to a guild of this quality if I didn’t know I could play Elemental well enough to contribute.

- What kind of computer do you use? CPU/Memory/Video Card? Typical FPS during a 25-man raid?
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit DDR3

My FPS hovers around 50. It’ll drop for massive AoE like Ony whelps but never to a point where I have any issues. I work in IT so if/when I do have issues with hardware they are fixed quickly.

- What kind of internet connection do you have? Run an internet speed test against Boston at speedtest.netLink the results below.
7MB DSL
I’m posting this from work so I can’t do the speed test now. I’ll update the thread with a speed test when I get home.

- Finally, we ask that you draw us a picture using MS Paint. (This is not optional).
Here’s a helpful chart I made a while back before most of the Cata info was out:

Here’s a thread we had on the DoG forums. My submission is the first one. For it to all make sense you need to be familiar with the meme, know that Oxey (the guy who made the tread) is, in fact, crippled, and that the long-running gag was that Brimo was fat. Also, no strat picture was ever used or accepted unless it had a Sun in it.
http://www.delusions-guild.com/modules. ... pic&t=4397

Finally, here’s my rendition of how awesome it would be if I joined Simple Math. Image is complete with me as an orc (with Wolverine claws, naturally) wearing my Orange Iguanas jersey casting lightning bolt at a scared shitless Deathwing (complete with adamantium plates holding his insides in). Also note that in the image I have ‘crazy eye’. That’s just how intense I am when it comes to electrocuting dragon aspects.

Torrential
User

Postby Torrential » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:28 pm

Here's my speed test from home. The server I've been on is in LA and I'm closer to the east coast so I'd expect better performance than I've had; and I never had issues to LA.
Yes Please <--Click
"and then i just wtf pwn with my keys" - Xx
"LEARN TO OPERATE THE FUCKING ELEVATOR BUTTONS, SHITCAMEL!!"-David Wong

Nehraxus
User

Postby Nehraxus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:54 pm

What is your experience, which phases have you gotten to, with H LK 25, and H Halion 25? Was most of this progression done as resto or elemental? I do agree with you that the gear isn't the most important thing at this point in the game but at the same time it's rather foolish to give out trial spots to applicants based on promises that I have no clue if you'd be fulfilling. I need something other than "I'll be great come cataclysm" to get me personally interested. Others might feel differently though so.

I feel like your parses are rather weak even with your gear. In particular I feel like on fights such as saurfang and normal festergut, that you should be rocking it but you're not.

I like your app, I think you have a good attitude and you probably would fit into this guild well. If we accepted every person just based on them being a "bro" we wouldn't get very far. My personal advice would be several things including finishing up your gear, there still is a few weeks. I would also encourage getting more parses, I find it very hard to believe there are pugs not doing any hard modes. Worst case, cata comes around and you could re app then if that's still something you're willing to pursue.

Torrential
User

Postby Torrential » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:31 pm

Nehraxus wrote:What is your experience, which phases have you gotten to, with H LK 25, and H Halion 25? Was most of this progression done as resto or elemental? I do agree with you that the gear isn't the most important thing at this point in the game but at the same time it's rather foolish to give out trial spots to applicants based on promises that I have no clue if you'd be fulfilling. I need something other than "I'll be great come cataclysm" to get me personally interested. Others might feel differently though so.

All of my Wrath progression has been Resto. I only played Elemental when we'd do Hodir(As an aside I was #1 DPS on what was, for a day or so, the fastest kill of Hodir recorded on WoL, when Hodir was still relevant. I sacrificed an extra two chickens to the RNG gods after that). We had a ~10% wipe on H-Halion. If I remember right a recruit healer in the shadow phase botched cutters and our healing situation down there was precarious enough that losing him at a key moment spiraled everything out of control pretty fast. When I played the shadow phase I had a raid symbol for everybody else to follow to avoid cutters.

We never managed to get past the 2nd wave of Valks on LK. I know you have nothing to go on except what I say but I can assure you I was never the weak link. We simply spent hours wiping to shadow trap(I'm not joking), defile, and people standing wherever they wanted leading to Valks flying all over.

As for me fulfilling promises I guess all I can say is that it's going to be my money to server and faction transfer. I've won a TWL championship in Enemy Territory and played at QuakeCon (sadly we got thrashed some some euros who looked like they were all about 14 /wrists) so playing under pressure and being confident in my abilities is second nature.

Nehraxus wrote:I feel like your parses are rather weak even with your gear. In particular I feel like on fights such as saurfang and normal festergut, that you should be rocking it but you're not.

You're not wrong. My gear at the time of the log was even worse than it is now (even worse trinkets, only 2 piece T10, less than stellar geming) but that admittedly doesn't make up the entire difference. My only defense is inexperience at the spec but that's something that can be fixed quickly. My ability to raid (preparedness, awareness, quick decision making, reactions etc.) are all already there and learning a class in WoW is not the hardest intellectual pursuit.

Nehraxus wrote:I like your app, I think you have a good attitude and you probably would fit into this guild well. If we accepted every person just based on them being a "bro" we wouldn't get very far. My personal advice would be several things including finishing up your gear, there still is a few weeks. I would also encourage getting more parses, I find it very hard to believe there are pugs not doing any hard modes. Worst case, cata comes around and you could re app then if that's still something you're willing to pursue.

That PuG I joined that managed to get everything but LK on normal is by a huge margin the best to be found on Draka. Like I said, the guild I ran was head, shoulders, and elbows above the next best guild and you can tell from our experience on H-LK what that says. I think that PuG is a semi-regular thing and if I can get a hold of them I certainly will. If they're running it again any time soon it will probably be tomorrow. As for finishing out my gear I'll only have available what's there in normal mode. There's just no chance of anything on hard mode beyond Lootship.

I do know a guy who's an officer in the 2nd (I guess 1st now) best guild and with Cata looming they might be willing to let me run with them. I can ask. I do have a fairly substantial pile of gold to bribe them with if it comes to that.
Yes Please <--Click

Torrential
User

Postby Torrential » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:05 pm

Update: I've spoken to that other guild. I should have an answer by Sunday as to whether they'll let me raid with them next week. I offered 50k gold to go and I've heard they've been raiding down a man or two anyway so I'm hopeful for a yes. I'll be trying to find a not-abysmal PuG this weekend.
Yes Please <--Click

Torrential
User

Postby Torrential » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:35 am

There were a few 10 man PuGs already over-full on DPS and no 25 mans this weekend, let alone decent ones. Like I said, Draka is back water.

I'll be joining that other guild's raid on Wednesday for some hard mode logs.
Yes Please <--Click

Torrential
User

Postby Torrential » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:18 am

Ran hard modes (LK normal) tonight with that other guild.

Few notes I thought I'd mention:
I got MCed on Deathwhisper about 700 times.
We had no herolust on Festerbutt (used on rotface)
I did not get bitten on BQ. My biter died.

Ranged did not attack raging spirits on LK, if you happen to notice I have no raging spirit damage.

Only other thing I'd mention is that my ingenious power aura for lightning shield ended up blending in perfectly with some of the rooms so I did ES late a few times.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/u3z6 ... amageDone/

Thanks for the patience waiting for the log and for taking the time to check out my app.
Yes Please <--Click

Return to “Guild Application - Denied”