Even Baddier Baddies
Aelanni
User

Aelanni - Monk Application

Postby Aelanni » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:48 pm

Player information:
- Age & Location: 23 - Seattle, WA
- Number of Testicles: 2
- Do you use a blizzard authenticator? If not, why? Yes, one account scare many years ago was one too many.

- How long have you played WoW: Since Vanilla release, so 2004; Did not play during Cataclysm due to attending my University.

- Endgame experience (What bosses have you killed): In current content, Every boss on Heroic; In past content:
Vanilla - MC/Ony, BC - Everything (Shadow Bolt on scroll wheel got old), WotLK - Everything minus parts of ICC/Ony, Cataclysm - None at the time, MoP - Terrace/SoO/Parts of ToT, WoD - Highmaul/BRF/HFC, I skipped BRF when it was current due to Capstone work at Uni taking up more of my time.

Character Information:
- Name, & Class: Aelanni - Monk
I also have a max level Rogue (MoP main), Shaman, and Warlock (my main for first 8ish years) I occassionally hop on.

- Link to Battle.net Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/u ... nni/simple

- Race & why you chose it: Blood Elf, Didn't have a BElf character yet and was sick of only playing Orcs; and BElf has the best PvE racials if you can use the resources generated.

- Professions and why you chose them: Enchanting/Mining; My Rogue is JC/Engi and was tired of not getting my own ore; also didn't have an Enchanter yet. Recently swapped from Herbalism to Mining since Mining seems to be the best for farming Bloods and of my level 100s ore is most valuable to me currently.

- Spec, Dual spec. How often do you play other specs?
In order of what I like playing Windwalker - Brewmaster - Mistweaver, I end up playing Brewmaster a lot given groups needing tanks and I enjoy the spec post rework, Mistweaver mostly for transmog purposes, but I'll heal if a group I'm in is short a healer.

- Explain your choice of gear for main & offspecs (include stat priorities and breakpoints):
For Windwalker currently - Agility >> Mastery > Crit=Haste=Vers roughly based on using WDP (they're within 3% of each other if I remember correctly).

For Brewmaster things are a bit more complicated; The 30% haste softcap > Mastery to the closest breakpoint where elusive brawler lets you reach 100% dodge in a given number of hits >= Vers > Mastery (outside of that) > Haste (above cap) >= Crit

For Mistweaver (I don't try to use Fistweaving as is, it's a pretty small gain, and not a spec I play often) - Vers > Crit > Haste > Mastery

- Explain your normal rotation and spell/ability priorities:
For Windwalker the opener I use is FSK, Energize, SEF, RSK, Tiger Palm, ToD, FoF, WDP, RSK then follow my priority; I usually try to fit in a Chi Burst if there's multiple targets or if I can heal enough people to make it worth using during SEF.
The priority for single target being: FoF > WDP > TP to not waste Energy/Chi gain > RSK > Chi Burst > BoK > TP. ToD on cooldown as long as I have a stack of Masterful Strikes from my Set Bonus; In Legion, Strike of the Windlord will be behind FoF only; and ToD utilization will change based on Gale Burst from the Artifact Tree.

Multi-target priority being: FoF > WDP > RSK to enable WDP > Chi Burst > SCK > BoK for stacks > TP on separate targets. Info for ToD/SotW remains the same.
I can also comment on my system for Brewmaster if you're interested.

- Prior guild(s) & your reasons for leaving: It has been too long since Burning Crusade/WotLK for me to really remember my guilds, and I focused on PvP for Mists since Uni was taking up more time.

Other Information:
- A Screenshot of your characters UI (THIS NEEDS TO BE A SS IN A RAID):

- Logs from warcraftlogs or worldoflogs:
Here's a recent prepatch log testing the new rotation/talents: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/mr ... c7#fight=7 ; and the corresponding CheckMyWoW: http://www.checkmywow.com/reports/mr4xY ... 50063171/7 ; I ended up swapping to Brewmaster on Archimonde given one of the tanks had to leave and I was the next best the group had.

- Why Simple Math? How did you find us? Is there anyone you know in Simple Math?
Why Simple Math? Well, I normally get attached to guilds, and since my return to WoD I have been holding off on finding one given Pre-Legion seemed like the perfect time to search for a guild that was interested in the same things I am for upcoming content. An atmosphere that is friendly, yet pushes each other to do better and improve as a team, and have interests in progression raiding; Something our server cluster has been lacking in recent years. After searching our server's forums I found no lack of guilds offering casual raiding, or a fun environment. However, after checking WoWProgress I found Simple Math as the only guild on my cluster to actively do progression raiding while maintaining this atmosphere. It seems like the perfect match for what my goals are in Legion, which is why I chose to apply. As it stands, I don't believe I know anyone within Simple Math.

- What kind of computer do you use? CPU/Memory/Video Card? Typical FPS during a 25-man raid?
Windows 7 self-built desktop; i5-2500K, 8GB RAM, Windforce GTX 970 - I normally get 80-90 FPS during a 25 Man raid on Graphics setting of 7; I have recently started using Raid graphics settings to reduce it down to 5 with Particle Density/Projected Textures set to the highest they can go for visibility.

- Run an internet speed test against New York at speedtest.net and pingtest.net. Link the results below.
http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5567692017
http://www.pingtest.net/result/150737902.png

- Finally, we ask that you draw us a picture using MS Paint (Windows) or Paintbrush (OSX). Link it below.

Storm, Earth, and Fire!

Jake
User

Re: Aelanni - Monk Application

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:29 pm

In your own words, please explain the best way to maximize Serenity DPS.

Aelanni
User

Postby Aelanni » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:52 pm

Hm, well to start with Serenity is a large burst cooldown in a shorter window than SEF. As such it's probably better in situations that involve cleaving few enough adds where you can manually stack crane marks that live a while or needing burst DPS in an encounter to push past a specific phase faster.

In terms of maximizing the DPS of it; Given you can relate the effictiveness of Serenity to the amount of free Chi, Cooldowns, GCD's you save, and the damage boost, you'd want to maximize that over the course of the buff.

In Single-Target I'm thinking that you'd want to fit in as many RSK's and BoK's as you can in the duration while maintaining your combo, since that would gain the most "free chi" versus channelling FoF. That probably means having to mix in an SCK but that's probably fine. Multi-target you'd gain the most Chi from weaving SCK's with RSK and also having FoF in there to maintain combo.

Now, in terms of maximizing the Cooldown snapshotting of Serenity, I'd think double-dipping and having Serenity cancel time off an earlier use then also use it again during to cancel the cooldown again; so it'd look something like you're using FoF some time before Serenity so that when you pop it the cooldown is at 6ish seconds then using it again at the end of Serenity. That's for Single-Target at least, on multi-target I'd bet the 40% damage boost means you'd want to channel it during Serenity and not at the end.

Overall, I think it'd look like...

Single-target: FoF at 12ish seconds CD - Pop Serenity - RSK - BoK - SCK - BoK - RSK - BoK - FoF
Multi-target: Stack Crane marks on targets - FoF at 8ish seconds CD - Pop Serenity - SCK - RSK - SCK - FoF - SCK
And those would still change more with Haste/Bloodlust/Artifact; although Haste would be a bad stat with Serenity because the energy regeneration is moot during Serenity and the cooldown reduction is less useful.

Jake
User

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:08 pm

Your answers are partially correct.

http://www.walkingthewind.com/2016/08/1 ... ycrafting/

Aelanni
User

Postby Aelanni » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:44 am

Hm, I'm assuming the aspect that was wrong was the multi-target example. I was working off pre-patch material so mine are slightly different that what they list there. You would always try to FoF as close to the end of the buff as possible so my number of seconds are slightly off too and missing SotW makes the rotation clunkier right now.

Was the issue me thinking that channeling FoF during Serenity in a multi-target scenario was better than clipping it at the end like in ST? Reading his Serenity and AOE section in the last paragraph he mentions it might be best to maintain Hit Combo by using SotW (RSK currently) and FoF during the 40% damage buff to maintain stacks as I had in my example. Whether there is some number of crane stacks where this changes I'm not too sure or if during pre-patch right now it's just inferior because of the lack of SotW.

In pre-patch if that's the case it'd change to SCK - RSK - SCK - BoK - SCK - RSK - FoF

Jake
User

Postby Jake » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:36 am

The idea was to see how you reasoned through answering that question. There's even discrepancies among 'top' Monks as to how to maximize the DPS of Serenity. Fact of the matter is that currently, Whirling Dragon Punch is better simply because it's more consistent and easy to use. All it takes is one simple AP ratio adjustment and Serenity can be mathematically king.

The biggest thing that causes me concern is the lack of data that you've presented to merit an immediate invite. I'm not suggesting that you're bad -- you're playing a class that's easily one of the most punishing classes if you make a mistake. However, I'm going to say that we'd really need someone to come in and have an immediate impact. We have an already oversized melee roster. Taking in another melee to maybe give them raid time would not only be a headache for us to manage, but a blatant disregard for your own time investment into a hobby that you play for fun.

I'm not an officer by any means, so my decision or input is of my own volition. I'd suggest to the officers to keep you in mind since you are on a merged realm with Andorhal. Picking you up, should you be available, in the near future might be something worth strongly considering.

I'd also suggest to you to keep around, or in touch, with the officers or myself. There's no telling when the climate will change.

Aelanni
User

Postby Aelanni » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:23 pm

Yeah, it's good to think far enough ahead to know what you need to be doing when a patch comes through and changes up talents. Being able to correctly make use of WDP and Serenity is a wise investment of time now relative to having to worry about it 2 weeks in and then you end up struggling trying to figure out in the week you have left before the raids open.

I understand your worries about lack of data, I've always wanted to find a guild that would do progression raiding but only about three weeks ago did I seriously consider doing it and data is one of those things I just didn't have from before the pre-patch to really give a better metric. That and lacking the legendary ring makes it even harder to measure it against what other people are capable of doing now, especially when it was just a PUG Raid. With the Monk there is always room for improvement and that's something I'll be working consistently on and maybe in the next couple weeks I'll have something more substantial to show you as I work on gearing up in the three weeks before raiding opens.

Thanks for the generous offer to keep in touch, I don't plan on leaving this merged realm any time soon and I'll likely just be biding time and gearing up to start with like other raiders who have prepped for the expansion. I'll try to drop a message in a few weeks or something to see how things are going and I've linked my BattleTag in case you happen to need a WW/BM Monk for a dungeon or another head for theorycrafting!

Oneshot
User

Postby Oneshot » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:07 pm

After reviewing this app, we have decided to pass on you at this time. Best of luck in your guild search.

Return to “Guild Application - Denied”