Baddies
dematted
User

Zeklosh Application.

Postby dematted » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:49 pm

Player information:
- Age & Location: 22, New York.
- Number of Testicles: Only two.
- Do you use a blizzard authenticator? If not, why? Yep!
- How long have you played WoW: I've been playing on and off since the end of Woltk or so. Luckily, I missed the entirety of Warlords of Draenor!
- Endgame experience (What bosses have you killed): 6/9m ToS, 10/11m Antorus (I have cutting edge, just haven't downed Aggramar!)
- Prior guild(s) & your reasons for leaving: I raided with a group of friends on Stormrage for much of ToS, and that was the first time I hopped into mythic raiding. Eventually, the guild fell apart on Maiden due to the cooperation necessary to kill her. At this point, I took a fairly lengthy break from the game, and only came back around four or five months ago. At this point, I started doing some guild hopping in order to get cutting edge, and eventually I achieved my aim. Right now, I'm looking for a long-term home in BFA and beyond. I'm leaving my current guild for a couple reasons: I'm not particularly fond of the raid environment, and I feel as if it's not the sort of place where I can get cutting edge every tier.

Character Information:
- Name & Class: Zeklosh, Shaman.
- Link to battle.net Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... in/zeklosh
- Race & professions: Troll, Alchemy and Herbalism.
- Main-spec, off-spec, and how often do you play your off-spec? My main spec is elemental, and my OS is restoration. I heated a bit in Antorus, but found that most of the guilds I raided with didn't really need a healer.
- Explain your normal rotation and spell/ability priorities: Well, this really depends on whether I'm playing Icefury, Ascendance, or Lightning Rod, how many targets are present, and whether there are any points at which the raid needs more dps. But basically, on a normal, patchwerk encounter without much movement, I'll play ascendance (since there's much less room for error than with ice fury, and it does equivalent dps). My opener will be to pre-cast elemental blast, cast lightning bolt, apply flame shock, cast two lava bursts, and hop into ascendance. At this point I'll want to spam lava burst (tossing in an elemental blast whenever it comes off CD) and cast earth shock whenever I hit 117 or more maelstrom (though hit EB instead of earth shock when its off cool down).

Once I'm outside of ascendance, my priority is pretty simple. I'll want to first make sure my flame shock is up, and always re-apply it when there's less than 9 seconds on the debuff and I have more than 20 maelstrom. After that, I'll want to keep elemental blast on Cooldown, and earth shock whenever I reach 70 maelstrom (Not 125, which is maximum maelstrom - this allows my boots to proc with aftershock and GIVE me additional maelstrom...it might sound weird, but this is actually the perfect time to earth shock according to most sims if you're equipping the two BiS legendaries. At this point, it gets a little bit trickier. Generally, you'll be running echo of the elements, which gives you two lava burst charges, so you'll want to keep at least one charge on cool down. Ideally, you want to keep both on cool down, but that isn't completely possible, and isn't always the right thing to do. There's an artifact buff called "Power of the maelstrom" which makes your next three lightning bolts proc an elemental overload (and this buff in turn is procced by lava burst), so it's actually smart to cast lightning bolt with power of the maelstrom when lava burst is at one charge, rather than cast lava burst, so that you don't waste the current power of the maelstrom buff if you get another one. I won't, however, do this in multi-dot situations, since I'll potentially waste a lava surge proc! Aside from that, you have to maximize the use of Stormkeeper. Generally, you want to use this as soon as its not on CD (But never use on ascendance). You also, however, want to find a way to align this with power of the maelstrom. One smart way to do this is to use it right after ascendance, where you'll generally get a power of the maelstrom proc from all the Lava bursts you just cast. but another way to do this is to always make sure you cast both your charges of lava burst whenever storekeeper is up (if you don't have power of the maelstrom) to try to "fish" for a proc.

Anyways, that's single target with ascendance. Things get considerably more complex with Icefury, so I won't go over that, and actually get fairly simple in the multiple target rotation, which mainly involves intelligently fishing for lightning rod proc while making sure you use your stormkeeper when the raid needs some burst AoE.

- How many artifact traits do you have in your weapons (all specs)? The same as everyone else! Around 130.
- Which legendaries do you have? Are you currently farming any? I have em all for shaman, thank god. For awhile I was desperately farming for BiS, but those are thankfully long gone.
- Explain your choice of gear for main & offspecs (include stat priorities and breakpoints): Neither of my specs have any hard breakpoints, thank god. But generally as Elemental, Crit is best since we get around 270% more damage from crit (whereas most specs get only 200%) so it scales really, really well for us. Unfortunately, I only have around 30% of it right now, because I rolled a 980 vers/mastery neck that, because of the sheer quantity of stats it has, sims better than my 960 chain of the unmakre (Crit/haste). Crit also scales well for elemental because our best legendary set-up makes us randomly hop into ascendance at times, which causes your lava burst damage (lava burst always crits) to scale with your crit, like a destruction warlock's chaos bolt.

Anyways, our next best stat is generally haste (though of course, you always need to sim it to find out). It's really good for us because our legendary (smoldering heart) causes us to potentially enter into ascendance whenever we earth shock. The faster we cast, the faster we can generate maelstrom to earth shock, and so the more uptime in ascendance we have. Haste is my number one stat right now on my elemental shaman, and as a result it's a bit less valuable - about equal to mastery. Mastery for ele causes our spells to overload, casting twice and generating maelstrom. This might sound great, but since our earth shock doesn't scale with mastery, it's actually fairly weak.

Vers is our worst stat, although I generally try to get a decent amount of it, just because the damage reduction it provides is excellent for raid progression, especially with a spec like Ele that has very weak defensives.

Anyways, for Restoration, things are a bit different. Generally, mastery and crit are great, though how much mastery you want depends on whether you're on progression or not. Crit is strong because it grants us haste via an artifact trait that causes you to cast faster on your next spell whenever you crit. Haste is also decent since it scales well with healing rain and heals in general, but it also is mana hungry, so you have to be careful with it.

- Where do you do most of your research & testing to improve your character? Well, I'm sure to always sim a piece of gear to make sure it's an actual upgrade! It can be a bit of a pain, but I like looking at numbers and thinking about them so it's not too bad for me. I'll also visit storm earth and lava, which is a great site for elemental shaman that has some rudimentary info on rotations, sims for legendaries, and stuff like that. The class discord is also really useful, especially when it comes to getting advice for how to prepare for new fights!

Other Information:
- A Screenshot of your character's UI in a raid: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2pzmj2q ... z11cWaZOfW Heroic Argus! The blue bar on the left is my maelstrom bar, and it's flashing, meaning that I should be casting Earth Shock ASAP.
- Logs from warcraftlogs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... in/zeklosh
- What kind of computer do you use? CPU/Memory/Video Card? Typical FPS during mythic raid? I admittedly don't have the best computer! I use a 15 inch MacBook Pro, though I'm thinking of transitioning to my LENOVO Legion y520. The MacBook has a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 16 gb of memory, and a (somewhat mediocre, but workable) Radeon Pro 555 GPU. The Lenovo is equipped with around 8b of memory, an intel 7700 card, and a nice (though by no means exceptional) 1050 TI Nvidia card.
- Why should we accept you over anyone else of your class/spec? Well, I always do my research, tend to have a very friendly attitude, and am constantly looking to improve my gameplay by maximizing things like my rotation and such. I always think about the encounter, my character's positioning, and how I can make things easier on the raid.
- Why Simple Math? How did you find us? Is there anyone you know in Simple Math? Well, I'm looking for a guild that's trying to move up and be competitive, but is willing to accept someone that doesn't have top 100 experience. I like the fact that you guys have been around for awhile, and you seem like a good place for me to play long-term.
- Run a speed test and ping test targeting New York. Link the results below. 8 ping, 90.59 download mbps, 103.54 upload Mbps. I've never had internet problems playing from the place I ordinarily do.
- Finally, we ask that you draw a picture using MS Paint (Windows) or Paintbrush (macOS). Oh boy, I'm not good at this kind of stuff, but here it goes. I figure this is appropriate, since it's the fourth of July. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=jziqo6&s=9#.Wz14emaZOfU

dematted
User

Re: Zeklosh Application.

Postby dematted » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:57 pm

dematted wrote:Player information:
- Age & Location: 22, New York.
- Number of Testicles: Only two.
- Do you use a blizzard authenticator? If not, why? Yep!
- How long have you played WoW: I've been playing on and off since the end of Woltk or so. Luckily, I missed the entirety of Warlords of Draenor!
- Endgame experience (What bosses have you killed): 6/9m ToS, 10/11m Antorus (I have cutting edge, just haven't downed Aggramar!)
- Prior guild(s) & your reasons for leaving: I raided with a group of friends on Stormrage for much of ToS, and that was the first time I hopped into mythic raiding. Eventually, the guild fell apart on Maiden due to the cooperation necessary to kill her. At this point, I took a fairly lengthy break from the game, and only came back around four or five months ago. At this point, I started doing some guild hopping in order to get cutting edge, and eventually I achieved my aim. Right now, I'm looking for a long-term home in BFA and beyond. I'm leaving my current guild for a couple reasons: I'm not particularly fond of the raid environment, and I feel as if it's not the sort of place where I can get cutting edge every tier.

Character Information:
- Name & Class: Zeklosh, Shaman.
- Link to battle.net Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... in/zeklosh
- Race & professions: Troll, Alchemy and Herbalism.
- Main-spec, off-spec, and how often do you play your off-spec? My main spec is elemental, and my OS is restoration. I heated a bit in Antorus, but found that most of the guilds I raided with didn't really need a healer.
- Explain your normal rotation and spell/ability priorities: Well, this really depends on whether I'm playing Icefury, Ascendance, or Lightning Rod, how many targets are present, and whether there are any points at which the raid needs more dps. But basically, on a normal, patchwerk encounter without much movement, I'll play ascendance (since there's much less room for error than with ice fury, and it does equivalent dps). My opener will be to pre-cast elemental blast, cast lightning bolt, apply flame shock, cast two lava bursts, and hop into ascendance. At this point I'll want to spam lava burst (tossing in an elemental blast whenever it comes off CD) and cast earth shock whenever I hit 117 or more maelstrom (though hit EB instead of earth shock when its off cool down).

Once I'm outside of ascendance, my priority is pretty simple. I'll want to first make sure my flame shock is up, and always re-apply it when there's less than 9 seconds on the debuff and I have more than 20 maelstrom. After that, I'll want to keep elemental blast on Cooldown, and earth shock whenever I reach 70 maelstrom (Not 125, which is maximum maelstrom - this allows my boots to proc with aftershock and GIVE me additional maelstrom...it might sound weird, but this is actually the perfect time to earth shock according to most sims if you're equipping the two BiS legendaries. At this point, it gets a little bit trickier. Generally, you'll be running echo of the elements, which gives you two lava burst charges, so you'll want to keep at least one charge on cool down. Ideally, you want to keep both on cool down, but that isn't completely possible, and isn't always the right thing to do. There's an artifact buff called "Power of the maelstrom" which makes your next three lightning bolts proc an elemental overload (and this buff in turn is procced by lava burst), so it's actually smart to cast lightning bolt with power of the maelstrom when lava burst is at one charge, rather than cast lava burst, so that you don't waste the current power of the maelstrom buff if you get another one. I won't, however, do this in multi-dot situations, since I'll potentially waste a lava surge proc! Aside from that, you have to maximize the use of Stormkeeper. Generally, you want to use this as soon as its not on CD (But never use on ascendance). You also, however, want to find a way to align this with power of the maelstrom. One smart way to do this is to use it right after ascendance, where you'll generally get a power of the maelstrom proc from all the Lava bursts you just cast. but another way to do this is to always make sure you cast both your charges of lava burst whenever storekeeper is up (if you don't have power of the maelstrom) to try to "fish" for a proc.

Anyways, that's single target with ascendance. Things get considerably more complex with Icefury, so I won't go over that, and actually get fairly simple in the multiple target rotation, which mainly involves intelligently fishing for lightning rod proc while making sure you use your stormkeeper when the raid needs some burst AoE.

- How many artifact traits do you have in your weapons (all specs)? The same as everyone else! Around 130.
- Which legendaries do you have? Are you currently farming any? I have em all for shaman, thank god. For awhile I was desperately farming for BiS, but those are thankfully long gone.
- Explain your choice of gear for main & offspecs (include stat priorities and breakpoints): Neither of my specs have any hard breakpoints, thank god. But generally as Elemental, Crit is best since we get around 270% more damage from crit (whereas most specs get only 200%) so it scales really, really well for us. Unfortunately, I only have around 30% of it right now, because I rolled a 980 vers/mastery neck that, because of the sheer quantity of stats it has, sims better than my 960 chain of the unmakre (Crit/haste). Crit also scales well for elemental because our best legendary set-up makes us randomly hop into ascendance at times, which causes your lava burst damage (lava burst always crits) to scale with your crit, like a destruction warlock's chaos bolt.

Anyways, our next best stat is generally haste (though of course, you always need to sim it to find out). It's really good for us because our legendary (smoldering heart) causes us to potentially enter into ascendance whenever we earth shock. The faster we cast, the faster we can generate maelstrom to earth shock, and so the more uptime in ascendance we have. Haste is my number one stat right now on my elemental shaman, and as a result it's a bit less valuable - about equal to mastery. Mastery for ele causes our spells to overload, casting twice and generating maelstrom. This might sound great, but since our earth shock doesn't scale with mastery, it's actually fairly weak.

Vers is our worst stat, although I generally try to get a decent amount of it, just because the damage reduction it provides is excellent for raid progression, especially with a spec like Ele that has very weak defensives.

Anyways, for Restoration, things are a bit different. Generally, mastery and crit are great, though how much mastery you want depends on whether you're on progression or not. Crit is strong because it grants us haste via an artifact trait that causes you to cast faster on your next spell whenever you crit. Haste is also decent since it scales well with healing rain and heals in general, but it also is mana hungry, so you have to be careful with it.

- Where do you do most of your research & testing to improve your character? Well, I'm sure to always sim a piece of gear to make sure it's an actual upgrade! It can be a bit of a pain, but I like looking at numbers and thinking about them so it's not too bad for me. I'll also visit storm earth and lava, which is a great site for elemental shaman that has some rudimentary info on rotations, sims for legendaries, and stuff like that. The class discord is also really useful, especially when it comes to getting advice for how to prepare for new fights!

Other Information:
- A Screenshot of your character's UI in a raid: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2pzmj2q ... z11cWaZOfW Heroic Argus! The blue bar on the left is my maelstrom bar, and it's flashing, meaning that I should be casting Earth Shock ASAP.
- Logs from warcraftlogs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... in/zeklosh
- What kind of computer do you use? CPU/Memory/Video Card? Typical FPS during mythic raid? I admittedly don't have the best computer! I use a 15 inch MacBook Pro, though I'm thinking of transitioning to my LENOVO Legion y520. The MacBook has a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 16 gb of memory, and a (somewhat mediocre, but workable) Radeon Pro 555 GPU. The Lenovo is equipped with around 8b of memory, an intel 7700 card, and a nice (though by no means exceptional) 1050 TI Nvidia card. My fps is around 40-50.
- Why should we accept you over anyone else of your class/spec? Well, I always do my research, tend to have a very friendly attitude, and am constantly looking to improve my gameplay by maximizing things like my rotation and such. I always think about the encounter, my character's positioning, and how I can make things easier on the raid.
- Why Simple Math? How did you find us? Is there anyone you know in Simple Math? Well, I'm looking for a guild that's trying to move up and be competitive, but is willing to accept someone that doesn't have top 100 experience. I like the fact that you guys have been around for awhile, and you seem like a good place for me to play long-term.
- Run a speed test and ping test targeting New York. Link the results below. 8 ping, 90.59 download mbps, 103.54 upload Mbps. I've never had internet problems playing from the place I ordinarily do.
- Finally, we ask that you draw a picture using MS Paint (Windows) or Paintbrush (macOS). Oh boy, I'm not good at this kind of stuff, but here it goes. I figure this is appropriate, since it's the fourth of July. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=jziqo6&s=9#.Wz14emaZOfU

Waves
User

Postby Waves » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:51 am

Hey thanks for the app, would you be available for a Discord interview tomorrow(Thursday) at 9pm EST?

dematted
User

Postby dematted » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:18 pm

I won't, unfortunately. If we can do it earlier (at around 7-8) I'd be able to, though. I'm also available almost anytime after 5 on Friday.

Waves
User

Postby Waves » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:58 pm

How does Friday at 9pm sound?

dematted
User

Postby dematted » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:08 pm

That works! Just link me the discord on my battletag [email protected].

Return to “Guild Application - Accepted”