Valtrexa
User

Valtrexa again- Mage

Postby Valtrexa » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:05 am

Player information:
- Age & Location: 32 & New York City
- Number of Testicles: 2
- Do you use a blizzard authenticator? If not, why? Yes
- How long have you played WoW: In some fashion since Beta, 461days played on my mage
- Endgame experience (What bosses have you killed):

Pre-Legion short novel
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15873

Legion
EN – did mythic progression/clear with you guys
ToV – stopped raiding during mythic Odyn progression (cleared heroic obviously)
NH – I got normal mode carried last week

Character Information:
- Name, & Class: Valtrexa, Mage
- Link to Battle.net Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/guild/andor ... r=valtrexa
- Race & why you chose it: Panda, because it’s the best
- Professions and why you choose them: Tailoring/Enchanting
I have herb/mining on my alt. Keeping tailoring for that crafted legendary potential in 7.2

- Spec, Dual spec. How often do you play other specs? Still fire because it’s my furthest progressed weapon and because I have the legendary fire belt and no frost/arcane legendaries. Can play the other specs if necessary once my relics/traits/potential legos are caught up.

- Explain your choice of gear for main & offspecs (include stat priorities and breakpoints):
Fire gear is haste>crit>int>vers>sp>mastery for ST and they are all of similar value since 7.1.5 whereas crit was miles ahead in early Legion. I have haste first because I have Gul’dan trinket which gains substantial value from more haste. The 2 BiS fire trinkets from NH both gain tremendous value from haste which therefore makes it the most appealing stat for fire right now. Aoe stat priority is a bit different as mastery becomes the most valuable followed by int>crit>haste>vers>sp.
Arcane is mastery>crit>int>vers>sp>haste for ST and aoe
Frost is crit>int>haste>sp>vers>mastery for ST and frost aoe is similar except haste is less valuable than sp and vers.

- Explain your normal rotation and spell/ability priorities:
For single-target Fire, it’s more of a priority list than a rotation but outside of Combustion, it would look something like this:
1. Assuming RoP talent is picked, use RoP if you have 2 charges.
2. If meteor is talented, cast meteor
3. If living bomb is talented, cast LB if more than 1 target
4. cinderstorm on cooldown if picked over meteor
5. Phoenix Flame if sitting on 3 charges and you’ll regain the charge before Combustion comes off cooldown (casted at the end of a fireball).
6. Fireball
7. Fire blast during next fireball cast if previous fireball crits
8. Instant pyro to consume hot streak buff from 2x crit in a row. Go back to step 6 unless cd’s in 1-5 are up.
With my legendary belt, scorch replaces fireball sub 30% boss hp.
Combustion sequence
RoP > Combustion as RoP cast ends > pyroblast (ideally you are sitting on 1 as combustion comes off cooldown) > FB>pyro>FB>pyro>FB>pyro>PF>pyro>PF pyro>FB
Opener
Precast Pyroblast if not using pot; if using pre-pot precast fireball>RoP>combustion>assuming the precast crit, use PF, if no precast crit use PF with Fire Blast>combustion sequence above starting from the first pyro
If using Cinderstorm talent, you precast fireball>cinderstorm>rop>combustion right before cinders hits target to gain 5 stack Pyretic Incantation
There are slight changes to the sequence if you have the legendary fire hat or bracer. With hat, you choose DB crit talent over Flame On and use DB on cooldown. With bracer, you hard-cast pyroblasts with proc for actual damage.
AOE Rotation
Dragon Breath > Living Bomb> ST highest hp target> use Hot Streak procs on Flamestrike if 4+ targets, (2+ targets with shitty flame patch talent)

- Prior guild(s) & your reasons for leaving:

See here for pre-Simple Math: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15873
Simple Math – never left but got completely overwhelmed with work going into holiday season couldn’t be reliable for 4 days/20 hours so became a dirty casual. Business is back to normal, plus I’ve hired on additional help and SM raid times moved from 7pm to 8pm est so raiding is doable again for me.

Other Information:
- A Screenshot of your character's UI (THIS NEEDS TO BE A SS IN A RAID): https://postimg.org/image/tjpacr8a1/ DBM timers appear on the right side when active. This is the same pic from my original app because I haven’t changed anything.

- Logs from warcraftlogs or worldoflogs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... 172/latest
That link is from a normal NH pug I did with some members of the guild at like 2AM last weekend without knowing any of the fights and using the wrong talents/trinkets.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/aP ... amage-done
I think this is the most recent log from raiding with the guild.

- Why Simple Math? How did you find us? Is there anyone you know in Simple Math? Because I raided here until 2 months ago and liked it. I know Superdeux, he taught me everything I know about mage

- What kind of computer do you use? CPU/Memory/Video Card? Typical FPS during a 25-man raid? I built this computer a couple years ago. CPU is Intel i5-4690. Memory is Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2x4) DDR3 1600 MHz. Video card is a GTX 760. FPS doesn’t really drop below 60.

- Run an internet speed test against New York at speedtest.net and pingtest.net. Link the results below.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5570242077
http://www.pingtest.net/result/150698125.png
These are the same ones from my original app as nothing has changed in this regard.

- Finally, we ask that you draw us a picture using MS Paint (Windows) or Paintbrush (OSX). Link it below

Rickles
User

Re: Valtrexa again- Mage

Postby Rickles » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:13 am

would u be available for a chat at 630 pm est?

Valtrexa
User

Postby Valtrexa » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:14 am

What day is this supposed chat?

Rude
User

Postby Rude » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:14 am

right meow
[12:18] [G] [Carbonlight]: is a fleshlight the "plug" or the "socket"?

Rickles
User

Postby Rickles » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:15 am

wait its 12:15 unfortunately we missed u

Valtrexa
User

Postby Valtrexa » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:21 am

sorry, can I have another chance

Raynorxx
User

Postby Raynorxx » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:21 am

I know Superdeux, he taught me everything I know about mage

Hmmm

Dippindots
User

Postby Dippindots » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:43 am

Just like i said to Tasset. Declined

Tasset
User

Postby Tasset » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:13 pm

Dippindots wrote:Just like i said to Tasset. Declined

LUL

katokal
User

Postby katokal » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:00 pm

Valtrexa wrote:- Spec, Dual spec. How often do you play other specs? Still fire because it’s my furthest progressed weapon and because I have the legendary fire belt and no frost/arcane legendaries. Can play the other specs if necessary once my relics/traits/potential legos are caught up.

You don't need legendaries to play frost and have it be somewhat competitive to fire as long as your weapon is 35-40+ traits. But considering you have Prydaz, the Time Warp ring, and fire execute belt, I'm a bit surprised you haven't shifted to arcane considering that it would net you higher single target and AoE dps overall for your current gear.

Valtrexa wrote:- Explain your choice of gear for main & offspecs (include stat priorities and breakpoints):
Fire gear is haste>crit>int>vers>sp>mastery for ST and they are all of similar value since 7.1.5 whereas crit was miles ahead in early Legion. I have haste first because I have Gul’dan trinket which gains substantial value from more haste. The 2 BiS fire trinkets from NH both gain tremendous value from haste which therefore makes it the most appealing stat for fire right now. Aoe stat priority is a bit different as mastery becomes the most valuable followed by int>crit>haste>vers>sp.
Arcane is mastery>crit>int>vers>sp>haste for ST and aoe
Frost is crit>int>haste>sp>vers>mastery for ST and frost aoe is similar except haste is less valuable than sp and vers.

Your weights here are wrong for all the specs when considering legendary combinations with the Mage 4pc from Nighthold. Considering you would be trying to obtain the 4pc, and will be receiving legendaries over time, these variables need to be taken into account.

Fires haste value is strictly dependent on having the four set. Presuming you have the four set, haste is your least valued stat, especially with your current Whispers trinket, as well as the potential to obtain the Metronome. Their procs for RPPM are offset enough that you hardly ever have the 4pc proc, Metronome, and Whispers, all happening at the same (with the exception of the initial pull on a boss, which isn't even guaranteed because of RNG and RPPM). Otherwise, it's still int > crit >= Mastery > vers >=haste. If for some reason your haste is below 8%, then you need to regain that breakpoint.

Arcanes weights are dependent on having one of the "regen" legendaries. That being either the hat, wrists, waist, or pants, or some combination of them with either Time Warp ring, KJ trinket, or Prydaz. Presuming you have one of the regen legendaries and 4pc, mastery is your least valued stat without question. Your stat weights then become int >= haste (down to around 1.8s or a bit below cast time on your Arcane Blast), > crit >= vers > mastery.

If you don't have one of the regen legendaries, then your weights are only correct in that you need to be considerate of having slightly more mastery than other stats.

Frost weights with the 4pc should only be crit until you reach the shatter cap of 33.34%, after that it's your least valued stat by almost half the value of int. After crit cap (which is easily obtainable now with higher item level gear) it's int > haste > vers > mastery > crit.

Valtrexa wrote:- Explain your normal rotation and spell/ability priorities:
5. Phoenix Flame if sitting on 3 charges and you’ll regain the charge before Combustion comes off cooldown (casted at the end of a fireball).

You should never be sitting at 3 charges of Phoenix Flames, if you are, you're doing it wrong. They should be used primarily, if not all the time only while being in Rune of Power if you're specced into it. Regarding talent choices as well, some of them are highly dependent on what trinkets you have, such as an 890+ Horn of Valor, you need to consider simming yourself with Mirror Image and Meteor, as opposed to RoP and and Cinderstorm.

Valtrexa wrote:There are slight changes to the sequence if you have the legendary fire hat or bracer. With hat, you choose DB crit talent over Flame On and use DB on cooldown.

This is not necessarily true either regarding the DB helm. You want to try and use DB in the same way you would Phoenix Flames, within a RoP if possible. Using it on CD is not always the most effective use of that GCD in that combination, when you consider movement on an encounter, or amount of adds that will be coming, and generating Heating Up and Pryoblast! procs along the way.
"From Light comes Darkness and from Darkness comes Light."

Valtrexa
User

Postby Valtrexa » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:35 pm

I asked you about Frost/Arcane the other day and you told me frost simply wasn't competitive and arcane needed the lego pants to be viable, so I just kept dumping AP into fire. I don't mind changing specs if one is better, but my fire weapon is like 10 AP levels ahead of arcane/frost and is 15 ilvls higher than arcane.

Where are you getting your stat weights from? I've looked at AT forums, icy-veins, mmo and don't see it the way you have it listed on any of those sites. In regards to haste for Fire, AT literally says the exact opposite of what you are saying. Maybe I'm not using discord right, but there are 1000s of comments and trying to find specific info about 4 pc differences was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

For arcane stat weights, gearing around potentially getting lucky with one of the correct legendaries seems like putting the cart before the horse and based on what I've read, my weights are what I saw posted on AT, Icy veins, etc.

I forgot to mention shatter cap for frost even though it's been a thing forever, but assuming you're at the cap, your stat weight order for frost is the same as mine.

The PF comment is more semantics than anything. I'm aware you don't want to sit at 3 charges the same way you don't want to sit on 2 charges of RoP etc. I put it where I put it because in terms of priority, it's a more powerful spell than fireball, but I guess I should have explained that one better.

The DB hat, I was thinking about it from a target dummy perspective. Of course things will change depending on if there is a movement phase coming up, the adds haven't come out yet, other cooldowns such as RoP, whether or not you have a Hot Streak active etc.

katokal
User

Postby katokal » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Valtrexa wrote:I asked you about Frost/Arcane the other day and you told me frost simply wasn't competitive and arcane needed the lego pants to be viable, so I just kept dumping AP into fire. I don't mind changing specs if one is better, but my fire weapon is like 10 AP levels ahead of arcane/frost and is 15 ilvls higher than arcane.

I said frost is competitive without legendaries, but having the right frost legendaries can provide a 60-80k dps increase, with some good RNG, those being the wrists and gloves. Even if you only have the TW ring and Prydaz, I'd be willing to wager your frost dps would be competitive with your fire dps, simply because of the buffs frost has received, and the 4pc bonuses being better than fire, and you not having the fire bracers. This would more than likely be the same for you playing or testing arcane.

Valtrexa wrote:Where are you getting your stat weights from? I've looked at AT forums, icy-veins, mmo and don't see it the way you have it listed on any of those sites. In regards to haste for Fire, AT literally says the exact opposite of what you are saying. Maybe I'm not using discord right, but there are 1000s of comments and trying to find specific info about 4 pc differences was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I realize what it says on the primary stickied AT fire thread (which has not been updated since 1/10/17, and the other main one, since 1/13/17), but if you have the mage discord, and decide to look at what people are posting and discussing in the research section, that topic is heavily discussed. You can very easily get away with not having haste be your top valued stat, and focus on crits to gain more procs of your 4pc. People submit different APLs to use with the nightly builds for the admins to test, they do work out just fine.

In response to the specs specifically:
Fire has the stat weights listed as you posted, but if you dig deeper into it in the discord, or ask people that have tried different APLs, the weights can, and will change.

Frost has two different graphs posted in the same sticky thread, one pre crit cap, one post crit cap. You listed pre crit cap, but yes, as you stated, they fall in line as you posted once you've reached that point.

Arcane also has two separate threads for evaluating stat weights based on relics and gearing.
The first one in the forum shows them listed as you have posted, and those are correct if you don't have any of the legendaries that help you regen mana through their added abilities.

The second main arcane thread in that same arcane forum, shows this: "Critical Strike > Haste > Mastery > Versatility"
Now, that reflection of stat weights takes into account the value of haste having diminishing returns after your AB cast is around 1.8 seconds. The post I'm referencing is here: https://www.altered-time.com/forum/view ... f=3&t=2847

Valtrexa wrote:For arcane stat weights, gearing around potentially getting lucky with one of the correct legendaries seems like putting the cart before the horse and based on what I've read, my weights are what I saw posted on AT, Icy veins, etc.

And like I said in the last part of that response for arcane weights... your weights are correct if you don't have one of those. I was simply trying to insinuate the the point that fire dps falls off a lot sooner than arcane, even with non-optimal legendaries.

Valrexa wrote:The PF comment is more semantics than anything. I'm aware you don't want to sit at 3 charges the same way you don't want to sit on 2 charges of RoP etc. I put it where I put it because in terms of priority, it's a more powerful spell than fireball, but I guess I should have explained that one better.

I get what you mean, but was just stating that you want to use PF in RoP at all times, if possible.
"From Light comes Darkness and from Darkness comes Light."

Superdeux
User

Postby Superdeux » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:25 pm

A+ drawing. Accepted.

Valtrexa
User

Postby Valtrexa » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:53 pm

Update

I'm viable now