User

Praxidike - Shadow Priest

Postby Praxidike » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:35 am

Player information:
- Age & Location: 24 – Chicago, IL
- Number of Testicles: 2
- Do you use a blizzard authenticator? If not, why? Yes
- How long have you played WoW: Since Classic
- Endgame experience (What bosses have you killed): Classic: All content. Burning Crusade: Through Tempest Keep. Wrath of the Lich King: None. Cataclysm: None. Mists of Pandaria: All content (heroic). Warlords of Draenor: Highmaul (heroic). I played very casually/pugged most of the content in MoP and WoD. In Legion I have completed Nythendra and Elerethe Renferal on mythic.

Character Information:
- Name, & Class: Praxidike – Priest
- Link to Battle.net Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/z ... ike/simple
- Race & why you chose it: Undead. I convinced my girlfriend to level fresh characters this summer and she was only willing to play undead. Her character is a mage named Cyllene. Fun fact: Praxidike and Cyllene are two of Jupiter’s moons.
- Professions and why you chose them: Alchemy and Inscription. They were the only two professions I hadn’t learned on a character yet. The extended length of flasks is a great perk for Alchemy. Inscription has Vantus Runes but is not otherwise amazing.
- Spec, Dual spec. How often do you play other specs? Shadow is my primary spec. I play other specs quite often though. I enjoy healing mythic plus groups as holy. I enjoy battlegrounds and arenas as discipline. I also try to heal heroic alt raids as discipline because I love the way the spec is designed. I'm still a ways away from mastering it...
- Explain your choice of gear for main & offspecs (include stat priorities and breakpoints):
Shadow
For Surrender to Madness shadow, the secondary stat priority is haste > critical strike > mastery > versatility. The major breakpoint simmers have been talking about is 36% haste which allows players to “safely” cast three Void Torrents during Surrender to Madness. This breakpoint must be taken with a grain of salt, however, because it assumes ideal timing on Surrender to Madness, ideal timing on Dispersion, and ideal timing on boss mechanics. Certainly a shadow priest should strive for 36% haste but should not sacrifice other stats out of proportion to achieve it. The only comment I really have about my gear is the use of Amice of the Unfurling Tempest, Collar of Enclosure, Chrono Shard, and Prydaz, Xavaric’s Magnum Opus. Although I would prefer static haste over proc haste, Amice of the Unfurling Tempest and Collar of Enclosure have great secondary stats (critical strike and haste). Critical strike is a shadow priest’s best stat outside of Surrender to Madness and synergizes with my two Unleash the Shadows relics to generate insanity and get me back into Voidform. I use Prydaz because the shield lets me ignore mechanics (actually because it occasionally lets me soak extra mechanics). For gear choice, the most important thing about Surrender to Madness shadow priests is understanding the trade-off between pre-StM damage and StM damage. A multitude of factors go into that assessment and are probably too complex to summarize in this application, but generating insanity (critical strike) is really quite important.
Holy
For holy, I mostly do mythic plus and prioritize mastery > critical strike = haste > versatility. In my experience, holy priests frequently run out of mana but in mythic plus you can drink often. Therefore, I like haste because it lets me spam heal the party faster and drop the Serenity CD. I feel haste gives me the greatest HPS advantage even if it is inefficient (which doesn’t matter when you can drink). However, I don’t pretend to be a holy priest expert.
- Explain your normal rotation and spell/ability priorities:
Spell priority non-Voidform:
1. Mind Blast
2. Vampiric Touch/Shadow Word: Pain application/maintenance
3. Mind Flay/Sear (if >1 target)
Spell priority Voidform:
1. Void Torrent
2. Void Bolt
3. Shadow Word: Death (under appropriate conditions)
4. Mind Blast
5. Vampiric Touch/Shadow Word: Pain application/maintenance
6. Mind Flay/Sear (if >1 target)
*Weave in Shadowfiend when you have a free GCD
**Disperse for mechanics if necessary, otherwise use situationally
Pull rotation single target non-Voidform:
1. Make sure Shadowform is active (not a fan that I have to toggle it now)
2. Pre-pot (if lusting on pull)
3. Power Infusion (unless Xavius)
4. Mind Blast
5. Vampiric Touch
6. Shadow Word: Pain
7. Shadowfiend
8. Mind Flay/Sear into rotation
A lot of other factors go into spell selection. One example is timing the end of your last Voidform before entering Surrender to Madness. Another example is utilizing appropriate spells while moving for mechanics. Another example is using Shadow Word: Death on adds below 35% to generate insanity inside or outside of Voidform. What makes shadow priests great (pre-StM) is their dynamic utilization of a handful of spells. Once you hit StM, however, it's all about them Void Bolts.
- Prior guild(s) & your reasons for leaving:
In Classic and Burning Crusade I raided with a guild called Path of Light on Deathwing Alliance. I left that guild when I stopped playing WoW for high school and college. When I returned, I transferred to Zuluhed and spent much of my time in MoP/WoD in a guild with just a few friends. In Legion, I rolled Horde and joined Only Death. Only Death is an excellent group of players and takes a similar approach to progression as Simple Math. They strive to push progression while having a good time. I have not left Only Death and will continue enjoying play with them if not accepted to Simple Math. I am applying to Simple Math because I’d like to push progression more than twice a week and I’d like to push myself harder.

Other Information:
- A Screenshot of your character's UI (THIS NEEDS TO BE A SS IN A RAID): Here’s a really crappy one I took just now in a pug Emerald Nightmare. I run DBM, Recount, and Weak Auras 2.
- Logs from warcraftlogs or worldoflogs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... 381/latest
- Why Simple Math? How did you find us? Is there anyone you know in Simple Math? I’ve been interested in Simple Math since I began searching for a guild at the beginning of Legion. I found Simple Math through the in-game guild search and then checked ya'll out on wowprogress.com. Ultimately, after browsing your applicants, I recognized that I didn’t have the recent raiding experience to justify Simple Math accepting my application and decided not to apply. After building experience in mythic Emerald Nightmare, I am now confident in my ability to be a strong contributor in Simple Math. For the last portion of the question, I don’t know anyone in Simple Math.
- What kind of computer do you use? CPU/Memory/Video Card? Typical FPS during a 25-man raid? Home-built PC. i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz/16.0 GB/MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X. I run ultra max settings and get 80+ FPS in 25-man raids.
- Run an internet speed test against New York at speedtest.net and pingtest.net. Link the results below.
ImageImage
- Finally, we ask that you draw us a picture using MS Paint (Windows) or Paintbrush (OSX). Link it below.

Jake
User

Re: Praxidike - Shadow Priest

Postby Jake » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:40 am

Thank you for taking the time to fill out the application. We didn't want to leave you hanging with no response. We'll be reviewing everything you've posted and get back with you soon. :)

Praxidike
User

Postby Praxidike » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:41 am

Thanks for the update Jake! Looking forward to hearing from ya'll.

Jake
User

Postby Jake » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:50 am

If you wouldn't mind, please explain how you research your class. This isn't meant to be an elitist jerkoff question, but rather to give us an idea of how you find answers you don't know. More times than not I don't know a specific answer to the minutiae of my class, but I know how to go find that info.

Praxidike
User

Postby Praxidike » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:31 am

Jake wrote:If you wouldn't mind, please explain how you research your class. This isn't meant to be an elitist jerkoff question, but rather to give us an idea of how you find answers you don't know. More times than not I don't know a specific answer to the minutiae of my class, but I know how to go find that info.

In terms of theorycrafting, I mostly utilize HowToPriest.com and their Discord channel. There are many active theorycrafters and simmers providing a plethora of opinions. I also research on a handful of other sites including MMO Champion, the official WoW forums, and Icy Veins. Although theorycrafting is very useful, I find more benefit in analyzing actual data from Warcraft Logs. I use it to compare myself to players with similar raid conditions and analyze what their stats are, how their damage is distributed across their spells, and the timing of their abilities. How does their extra critical strike change their damage distribution? Exactly how many more DoT ticks do they get from their added haste? Analyzing actual data prompted me to shift some haste into critical strike (against theory) which provided a noticeable increase in my damage. I also peruse the high-end players frequently just to see what they are prioritizing/using. Their data is often less relevant because their raid conditions are so extreme. I won't be doing the same damage/timing as a player killing Ursoc in under 3 and a half minutes. The last part of class research is personal testing. I practice some things on the training dummies but I haven't found a dummy on which I can execute. The PvP ones (that do provide execution practice) exist but they allow you to use PvP talents which kinda mucks the DPS assessments. They do, however, allow me to practice achieving maximum Surrender to Madness duration. The thing about shadow priests in Legion is that they are highly environment-dependent. The conditions surrounding my play heavily affect what I do and why. I enjoy the challenge of taking many intriguing opinions and channeling them to make me the best I can be in whatever raid group I participate. I think no matter how hard I try, though, I'll never be able to master every precise detail of the shadow priest spec. But the relentless pursuit of perfection makes the game that much more fun.

Jake
User

Postby Jake » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:16 pm

I like it. Thanks for taking the time to put that up. The officers will be reviewing this soon. Keep an eye out.

Copia
User

Postby Copia » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:15 pm

Your picture might give Grouch a seizure.
Just my opinion, not necessarily that of this guild or its officers.

The remedy was my legendary wizard dick.

Dippindots
User

Postby Dippindots » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:45 pm

Copia wrote:Your picture might give Grouch a seizure.

All the better.

Praxidike
User

Postby Praxidike » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:02 am

I was going for attention-grabbing more than epilepsy-inducing. Maybe it needs a medical warning...

grouch
Admin

Postby grouch » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:34 am

gfy
you would not feel sadness
if you never tasted joy

rahba
User

Postby rahba » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:18 pm

Do you know who Praxidike Meng is without googling it?

Praxidike
User

Postby Praxidike » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:06 pm

rahba wrote:Do you know who Praxidike Meng is without googling it?

I did not. But now I ask you, do you recommend The Expanse?

Stormingire
User

Postby Stormingire » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:41 pm

Would you be available to talk over the weekend?

Praxidike
User

Postby Praxidike » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:50 pm

Stormingire wrote:Would you be available to talk over the weekend?

Yea sure. I don't think I have anything crazy planned except for running to the grocery store tomorrow morning. What time are you thinking?

rahba
User

Postby rahba » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:10 am

Praxidike wrote:
rahba wrote:Do you know who Praxidike Meng is without googling it?

I did not. But now I ask you, do you recommend The Expanse?

The books yes. I enjoy the show too but I'm not sure a non-reader can jump in and look past all the flaws and limitations of a tv budget.

Return to “Guild Application - Accepted”