Valtrexa
User

Valtrexa - Mage

Postby Valtrexa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:40 am

Player information:
- Age & Location: 31 & New York City
- Number of Testicles: 2
- Do you use a blizzard authenticator? If not, why? Yes
- How long have you played WoW: In some fashion since Beta, 430 days played on my mage
- Endgame experience (What bosses have you killed):

Vanilla
I cleared all raid content when it was current including world bosses, 20 mans, etc. Multiple KT 40 kills. I can provide a youtube link to our first KT kill if that's something you would be interested in.
MC-AQ (up to Ouru & C’thun) was with Ebon Order on Durotan and Ouro/C'thun -> KT was with Illumination of Durotan, which later transferred to Turalyon during Naxx progression because the Thaddius fight would break the servers. I also got the Scarab Lord title and mount when it first came out if that counts as a raiding accomplishment. Every kill with both guilds was a server first and likely a very high US kill but I don't think vanilla rankings exists anywhere anymore besides the world firsts. I also did a small bit of raid leading in Ebon Order during Vanilla when our GM couldn’t make it. I left Ebon Order for Illumination because there was a purge to combine the best players from each guild, in order to make a "superguild" and those of us that joined up took the Illumination tag.

BC
I did Karazhan, Gruul, Magtheridon, and the first 3 bosses in SSC and first 2 in TK when it was current. Again, all server firsts, likely high US kills but no rankings exist from back then anymore. Illumination broke up before we reached Vashj or Kael because raiding had major issues (short trash respawns, flask mats) and the guild had lots of internal drama at this point. Mages were horrible for raid dps in BC (had to be grouped with a shadow priest and ele shaman to be remotely competitive) so I had a really hard time getting into any decent raiding guilds after the breakup. I was eventually able to join up with a guild named Catalyst, on Feathermoon, during their Archimonde progression in Hyjal and towards the end of their BT progression. I finished progression of this tier with them and we killed up to M'uru in Sunwell when it was current. The guild disbanded on M'uru because we were unable to kill it.
I took a short break from raiding due to burnout after my guild had basically disbanded from M’uru ragequits. Once again I had an extremely hard time finding a new guild as a mage because of how bad the class was during Burning Crusade and I was resistant to switching to a new main. I applied to and joined up with vodka of Mannoroth after they had KJ on farm but before WOTLK came out. I was able to get a main raid slot for the Wrath expansion.

Wrath
We cleared Naxx and Eye of Eternity (US first kill) in the first week of the expansion. We did Sartharion 2 drake the first week because we thought 3 drake would be too hard but I remember a few guilds killed it first week so we went back and did 3 drake in week 2 of the xpac. There are no rankings for this but Blizzard did do a feature about our guild and published our names on the WOW armory for our Malygos kill. You can check my Feat of Strengths on the armory for evidence of these kills. I did extensive PTR testing of Ulduar hard-modes with vodka but I had to go on a WoW break shortly before it went live because I was in college and had secured a really nice internship in Washington DC for Junior year. There was no reliable internet service in the cheap place I was living in Virginia and I wouldn't have had the time to raid the hours they demanded anyway at this point. The vodka GM quit the game at some point during my break, and the new GM burnt everyone out with 7 night raid weeks, so when I was finally able to return towards the end of ICC, there were only 2 people left on the raiding roster who had been there when I had to first take the break. There was no mage spot available for me to compete for at this time plus all my friends had left the guild already. A few of these friends from vodka recruited me over to another guild they had joined, Huge in Japan of Kil’Jaeden, which is where I still am. HiJ for short, didn't have a mage spot yet and didn't feel comfortable having me compete for one against longtime members since I hadn't taken part in any of their ICC progression and had also missed the Coliseum tier. I was able to join their friends and family raid which was for social members of the guild, so in some sense, I did experience Heroic ICC progression, but at this point there were videos and strats all over the internet, so I don't think it really counts for much. I was able to use this opportunity to get promoted to main raider for Cataclysm with them.

Cataclysm
I completed all of Blackwing Descent and Throne of 4 winds heroic progression with Huge in Japan. Our Nefarian kill was #43 US according to wowprogress. We struggled on Al'Akir for reasons I can’t recall so our kill had a very poor ranking but still came before the next tier of content. During progression on Ascendant Council , my real life obligations became quite demanding (I was starting a Masters program), and I wasn’t able to keep up with our long raidweek hours anymore. As such, I missed our kill on the council, as well as progression on Cho'Gall and Sinestra. I was able to return for heroic Firelands progression during the summer but had to stop raiding again shortly thereafter because my family was planning a long vacation and I was going to be taking multiple courses during the second summer session. I was able to participate in progression and kills for the first 3 heroic Firelands bosses but had to leave in the middle of heroic Alysrazor progression. These 3 kills were US # 133, 65, and 82. Real life obligations, mostly school, caused me to miss the remainder of the expansion so I did not participate in any raiding for Dragon Soul.

Pandaria
Around the time that MoP started, my irl responsibilities eased up (grad school had just finished), so I was able to raid again with Huge in Japan. I rejoined the raid team about two weeks after their Grand Empress (Heart of Fear) heroic kill. As such, I missed out on all of Vaults, Heart of Fear, and the first boss of Terrace progression. I participated in heroic progression on the remaining 3 Terrace bosses. I was subbed out for our kills on Tsulong and Lei Shi due to having inferior gear from starting the expansion late, but I was in the raid for our US#24 Sha of Fear kill. I continued raiding actively with Huge in Japan until the middle of Throne of Thunder progression. I participated in heroic progression for the first 7 bosses of ToT and stop raiding a few days before the guild killed Primordious. These kills ranked around top 35 US except for Ji’Kun which was 105. Around this time, being unemployed while hardcore raiding wasn’t working out too well anymore, so I decided to stop playing WoW, get a job and figure out what I was going to do with my life. As such, I didn’t raid or really play much at all for the remainder of the expansion or during Warlords of Draenor. I dabbled with LFR and casual content when WoD was first released but didn’t have any type of raid commitment.
Fast-forward to the present, I now run my own company, make my own hours and have lots of free time to raid again with no significant real life commitments on the horizon. I picked up WoW back up in early July but Huge in Japan imploded earlier this year and the guild is quite dead. From what I understand, most of the raiders quit the game while a few joined other hardcore raid guilds. As such, I’m looking to leave Huge in Japan for an active raiding community. I apologize for the length of this section but it wasn’t easy summarizing over 10 years of WoW.

Character Information:
- Name, & Class: Valtrexa, Mage
- Link to Battle.net Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/k ... a/advanced
- Race & why you chose it: Panda, because it was new at the time (can switch to another race for min/max reasons if requested)
- Professions and why you choose them: Tailoring/Enchanting
I chose tailoring recently because I never obtained the new bag size in WoD and wanted to make them for free instead of paying for them. I’ve changed professions many times throughout the game’s history depending on which ones provided the best min/max raiding value. I know they are moving away from that for Legion, but I’m aware that there will be upgradeable tailoring gear so I plan on keeping it for that. I’m open to replacing enchanting depending on how useful it is going forward.

- Spec, Dual spec. How often do you play other specs? Right now I’ve mostly been using Fire but I can play all 3 specs. I play them as often as they are viable for the content I’m doing.

- Explain your choice of gear for main & offspecs (include stat priorities and breakpoints): My current gear was chosen simply based on which items were the strongest that I was reasonably able to acquire without being in a raiding guild. Assuming I have choices, I would gear for fire by choosing items favoring stats in the following order: int>crit>mastery>haste>versatility. If Arcane, Int>Mastery>Crit>Versatility>Haste. If Frost, Int>Haste>Crit to 36%~>Versatility>Mastery.

- Explain your normal rotation and spell/ability priorities:
For single-target Fire, it’s more of a priority list than a rotation but it would look something like this:
1. Rune of Power (probably the best talent of the tier for most raid encounters) with Combustion assuming both are off CD.
1a. Use Combustion when it’s off cooldown assuming there is no burn phase or important reason to withhold it for X amount of time.
1b. Use Rune of Power if sitting at 2 charges assuming I won’t have to move during it’s duration.
2. Pyroblast if instant proc is up.
3. If I had Meteor talented, it would be used here assuming it’s off CD. I’m currently using Cinderstorm though.
4. Flame on talent assuming I had 0 active Fire Blast charges.
4a. If it was safe to be standing in melee range, I would use Dragon’s Breath on cooldown here. You can also sneak in some extra damage using Dragon’s Breath on the last tick of Combustion if there is no time to cast something else.
5. Fire Blast when Heating Up buff is active.
6. Fireball to generate Heating Up buff.
Extras: If I have to move without blink, have 0 charges of Ice Floes up and Fire Blast was on cd, then I would use Scorch here. There are obvious variations to this list depending on the viability of certain talents, but I think the list I’ve given is the most likely to occur in raiding. Lastly, in certain AOE situations, instant procs would be used on Flamestrike instead of Pyroblast.

- Prior guild(s) & your reasons for leaving:
Ebon Order – the guild’s better players were more or less absorbed into Illumination (a more progressed guild on the same server).
Illumination – guild broke up during SSC/TK progression.
Catalyst – guild broke up after getting stuck on M’uru.
vodka – had to take an extended break and 90%+ of the roster had turned over from burnout before I came back so I followed my friends to Huge in Japan upon returning.
Huge in Japan – technically still here, but it’s dead and finished raiding

Other Information:
- A Screenshot of your character's UI (THIS NEEDS TO BE A SS IN A RAID): https://postimg.org/image/tjpacr8a1/ DBM timers appear on the right side when active.

- Logs from warcraftlogs or worldoflogs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/7NjFZDVPXmK1Tkwr/ As I discussed in the endgame experience section, I did not raid at all in the current expansion so my gear isn’t good and my guild is dead, hence a LFR parse. If this is an issue, I’m more than happy to discuss it.

- Why Simple Math? How did you find us? Is there anyone you know in Simple Math? I found Simple Math on wowprogress while searching for a Legion raiding guild that raided less than 5 days per week and was looking for mages. I do not currently know anyone in the guild.

- What kind of computer do you use? CPU/Memory/Video Card? Typical FPS during a 25-man raid? I built this computer a couple years ago. CPU is Intel i5-4690. Memory is Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2x4) DDR3 1600 MHz. Video card is a GTX 760. FPS doesn’t really drop below 60.

- Run an internet speed test against New York at speedtest.net and pingtest.net. Link the results below.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5570242077
http://www.pingtest.net/result/150698125.png

- Finally, we ask that you draw us a picture using MS Paint (Windows) or Paintbrush (OSX). Link it below

https://postimg.org/image/nngavq377/ It's supposed to be a panda bear doing simple math. I'm sorry.

Rude
User

Re: Valtrexa - Mage

Postby Rude » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:50 am

A+ app, ur a fkin Scarab Lord m8 and with the thoroughness of your app I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't buy your account.

I'm sure one of our mages will have questions and/or criticisms.
[12:18] [G] [Carbonlight]: is a fleshlight the "plug" or the "socket"?

Stormingire
User

Postby Stormingire » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:55 pm

Would you be available to chat tonight?

katokal
User

Postby katokal » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:44 pm

Can you walk me through your opener as fire?
"From Light comes Darkness and from Darkness comes Light."

Valtrexa
User

Postby Valtrexa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:11 pm

I'm actually going to WWE Raw tonight (don't judge)from 8-11 est so I won't be back until around midnight to chat. I don't know if that is too late for you, it probably is.

Fire opener

1. Pre pot
2. Hard cast pyroblast, assuming the raid leader does a countdown before the pull, so it hits right as/after the tank engages.
3. Fireball(s) to gain Heating Up
4. Fire Blast to proc instant pyro
5. Rune of Power, Combustion, on use trinkets/other on use things
6. Pyro
7. Fire Blast
8. Pyro
9. Flame On talent
10. Fire Blast
11. Pyro
12. Fire Blast.
13. Pyro
14. Fireball and pray for crit
15. Pyro
Extra. Dragon's Breath if its safe to be in melee range and no time left to cast before Combustion fades. Also, rotation can/will get modified from any Pyromaniac procs. Use those right away obviously.

Rude
User

Postby Rude » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:21 pm

Valtrexa wrote:I'm actually going to WWE Raw tonight (don't judge)from 8-11 est so I won't be back until around midnight to chat. I don't know if that is too late for you, it probably is.

It's not too late, but if you're going to be any later or not able to make it, be considerate and let us know. But we can otherwise expect you around midnight if that's fine.
[12:18] [G] [Carbonlight]: is a fleshlight the "plug" or the "socket"?

Stormingire
User

Postby Stormingire » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:27 pm

Midnight EST works for me.

Valtrexa
User

Postby Valtrexa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:07 pm

Rude wrote:
Valtrexa wrote:I'm actually going to WWE Raw tonight (don't judge)from 8-11 est so I won't be back until around midnight to chat. I don't know if that is too late for you, it probably is.

It's not too late, but if you're going to be any later or not able to make it, be considerate and let us know. But we can otherwise expect you around midnight if that's fine.

The event is supposed to end at 11 but sometimes they go a few minutes over. It takes me about 20-25 minutes to get home by subway. I was giving myself a little bit of a buffer by saying 12 but if that works for you, then I will definitely be here to chat at or a few minutes before midnight EST.

Stormingire
User

Postby Stormingire » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:30 pm

PM'd the mumble info.

katokal
User

Postby katokal » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:31 pm

Eh, opener not quite right, but this late in the expansion it doesn't matter too much.

Superdeux
User

Postby Superdeux » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:41 pm

katokal wrote:Eh, opener not quite right, but this late in the expansion it doesn't matter too much.

You would still be playing arcane without my constant harassment, so I'll accept his mistake.

katokal
User

Postby katokal » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:53 pm

Superdeux wrote:You would still be playing arcane without my constant harassment, so I'll accept his mistake.

Or I would have tested it once it went live... which is also acceptable. His mistake isn't necessarily a mistake, but a lesser DPS version of the correct opener, even marginally at level 100.

Valtrexa
User

Postby Valtrexa » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:00 am

my mic apparently isnt working. Hopefully you see this because I'm in mumble right now

Return to “Guild Application - Accepted”