Spiritualus - Shadow Priest xfer.

Baddies
spiritualus
User

Spiritualus - Shadow Priest xfer.

Postby spiritualus » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:04 pm

Player information:
- Age & Location: 25, Wisconsin.

- Usual Play Times (Server Time): Late afternoon - midnight or later daily. I have a distinct lack of a life. Woe is me.

- Number of Testicles: Two!

- Can you attend raids on these days:

- Do any others have access to your account? Hell no.

- Do you use a blizzard authenticator? If no, why? Yes I do, and I am willing to show my core hound to prove it.

- How long have you played WoW: TOO LONG.

- Endgame experience (What bosses have you killed):
Vanilla: Cleared all content up to Sapphiron in Naxxramas 40 prior to 2.0
TBC: Cleared Up to Vashj/Kael prior to their prior to their initial nerfs, cleared them shortly after that. Full cleared BT, Full cleared SWP. Muru/KJ post 3.0.
WotLK: Naxx 10/25: Cleared
EoE 10/25: Cleared
OS3d 10/25: Cleared
Ulduar 10/25: Cleared 14/14
ToC/GC 10: Cleared
ToC 25: Cleared
ToGC 25: 4/5
ICC 10/25 H - 12/12 pre 4.0
RS10: Never bothered with it.
RS25H - Cleared

Character Information:
Name Spiritualus
http://i51.tinypic.com/5zjzud.png Raw image, so you can make if bigger if you like.

Armory Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/shadowmoon/spiritualus/

- If you are applying as a DPS, what is your normal rotation?
http://i51.tinypic.com/2eoipf9.png Raw image, so you can make it bigger, if you like.
- Highest PvP Rank on this character (vanilla & arena titles):
None.
- Prior guild(s) & your reasons for leaving:
I don't talk about guilds prior to the earliest I list due to personal reasons. I will happily explain the situation in a private setting.

Subject for Change: Shadow Council. Left after the Guildmaster and two officers ninjaed the guild bank, and transferred off in the middle of the night. The guild collapsed in on itself from there.

Obsidium: Frostmane. Accepted for trial, and had to withdraw trial after ~3 weeks due to massive IRL drama with family preventing me from raiding consistently. Issues have since been resolved.

Bless the Martyr: Shadowmoon. Perhaps joined this guild a bit hastily. Good group of folks, but never really saw eye to eye with officers on a number of issues. Personally suspected favoritism in the loot council, but never had proof, so never made an issue of it. Not a bad guild, just was no longer happy. Gquit of my own accord with no preceeding /g drama.

Other Information:
- A Screenshot of your character's UI:
http://i52.tinypic.com/14lt2iq.png Raw image link.

- WWS/Wowmeter/Worldoflogs reports (not optional):
[url]http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/n32av007yc5qtfux/
[/url]

Other parses including me can be found on other dates in that same guild, but it's pretty much all me healing.

- Alts & their name/level:
No regularly played alts anymore.

- Out of game contact information (AIM/MSN/etc):
I don't maintain any messenger programs, and I don't use facebook. I'm a wierdo.

- How did you find us? Is there anyone you know in Simple Math?:
I do not know anyone in your guild. I am apply in response to a post made by your guild master on my Guild Recruitment forums thread.

- Why Simple Math? Is there anything else you'd like to tell us?

Put simply, I want to be in a top tier guild. I don't find languishing somewhere near to mediocre to be acceptable. Acceptance of failure is not something I tolerate, and is not something I expect to be tolerated by those around me.

As for anything more I want to say- I'd simply like to state that yes, I know my damage is low compared to many in your guild. I am applying for this position in the interest of a spot for cata, after the gear reset. I spent all but the last week and a half or so of t10 as a healer, and while I certainly know what I am doing as shadow, my gear isn't the sort of BiS stuff I need to pull numbers as big as some of your DPS.

After the cata gear reset though, none of that will matter.

- What kind of computer do you use? CPU/Memory/Video Card? Typical FPS during a 25-man raid?

Uh, I am not very amazing with computer stuff. All I know is that aside from a few issues shortly after 4.0 dropped, I am very stable, generally run with 35+ FPS in a 25 man raid setting, and that if I type in 'boobs' online, naked ladies will show up.

- What kind of internet connection do you have? Run an internet speed test against New York at speedtest.net Link the results below.
Cable.

- Finally, we ask that you draw us a picture using MS Paint. (This is not optional).
Do the others I made to answer the meat of the app count? If not, I will happily create another. Just say the word!

Ninetales
User

Postby Ninetales » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:23 pm

How much of this app did you make yourself?

really original, i like it.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same.

spiritualus
User

Postby spiritualus » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:26 pm

Ninetales wrote:How much of this app did you make yourself?

really original, i like it.

Aside from all of the images I patched together which I yanked of of google, I created it all myself in paint.

Isen
User

Re: Spiritualus - Shadow Priest xfer.

Postby Isen » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:30 pm

spiritualus wrote:Finally, we ask that you draw us a picture using MS Paint. (This is not optional).
Do the others I made to answer the meat of the app count? If not, I will happily create another. Just say the word!

I demand more pictures

Velna
User

Postby Velna » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:36 pm

Any reason you're using a healer trinket? You're also under the hit cap.

spiritualus
User

Postby spiritualus » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:41 pm

Velna wrote:Any reason you're using a healer trinket? You're also under the hit cap.

Regarding the Althor's, I only recently switched to MS shadow. Haven't had any luck picking up a Phylactery or CTS for my second trinket slot.

Regarding the hit cap, I was bored and healed a pug for a buddy last night. I have a ton of spare gems since I used to regem frequently due to constantly switching between Disc and Holy.

The blue slot in my boots is normally filled with a Purified Dreadstone, witch puts me over the hit cap slightly.

broette
User

Postby broette » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:50 pm

moar pictures

spiritualus
User

Postby spiritualus » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:24 am

@Isen, Broette-

Whatcha want? Give me a vague theme or direction.

merk
User

Postby merk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:36 am

Looking at the logs it appears that while you are doing well on the single target fights, fester, rot, etc but you break down when the fight gains adds. For example the LK attempts: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/n32a ... boss=36597

In particular valk dps is low (damage by actor tab)
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/n32a ... 181&e=9544

I suspect, based on the spell breakdown of the logs that what I'm seeing is that you swap late to the valk or are using inefficient dps rotations in a multi-target environment.

Sarufang's blood beasts:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/n32a ... 059&e=3187

spiritualus
User

Postby spiritualus » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:50 am

merk wrote:Looking at the logs it appears that while you are doing well on the single target fights, fester, rot, etc but you break down when the fight gains adds. For example the LK attempts: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/n32a ... boss=36597

I suspect, based on the spell breakdown of the logs that what I'm seeing is that you swap late to the valk or are using inefficient dps rotations in a multi-target environment.

Sarufang's blood beasts:

Both of those instances are easily explained. With regards to the valks, I did not dot-cleave them. In any other circumstance, I would drop VT and Pain on each, DP on my assigned valk, and go from there single targetting my assigned mark while maintaining dots on the others as necessary. However, that night healing was deemed light, and one of our DPS was told to heal for the encounter. That left my assigned mark with only 5 DPS as opposed to the 6 that are normally assigned to it. I was told that in the interest of helping to make up for that loss, to focus every available GCD on the Valk I was assigned.

Saurfang, yeah, I didn't touch the blood beasts. I was given permission to tunnel the boss though. I came into the raid reforged to one level of mastery, and since my dps was by no means required to kill blood beasts, I was able to use Saurfang numbers to compare to another single target fight that I reforged to more mastery before doing. Since Dispersion allows me to ignore the spore/pungent blight mechanic of festergut, I was able to similarly tunnel the boss, and have roughly comparable situations to benchmark the effect of the extra mastery on my numbers.

This was the day after the 4.0.3A changes to shadow priest mastery, btw.

grouch
Admin

Postby grouch » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:09 am

if you were to be accepted you wouldn't really get much of a trial until we started doing real content in a few weeks. are you comfortable with this? are you confident enough with your abilities that you're willing to do this?

the dps rotation you showed in your app is for 85, correct? did you practice this on the beta servers?

since you're changing specs from disc to shadow it's also important that you're 100% sure that you want to stay shadow since we don't really have a spot for another priest healer right now. overall a good app. i like that you've put quite a bit of effort into making a unique application and are very straight-forward with your answers. i also like that you're willing to go troll for a free dps trinket.
you would not feel sadness
if you never tasted joy

malyse
User

Postby malyse » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:56 am

merk wrote:Looking at the logs it appears that while you are doing well on the single target fights, fester, rot, etc but you break down when the fight gains adds. For example the LK attempts: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/n32a ... boss=36597

Sarufang's blood beasts:

Just as an aside, if you're looking to up your DPS, and it looks like you are, I have some suggestions:

(1) Pick up Sin and Punishment. You're forgoing a good cooldown-reducing/DPS-increasing ability for Phantasm/Psychic Scream/Silence. Also, it doesn't look like you're using your fiend often at all. He's huge DPS.

(2) Sometimes you sexecute, sometimes you don't...but your beautifully illustrated picture shows that you know you should. How do you prioritize it <25% ? Like on Princes, you only used it twice, but they're under 25% for a while and you shouldn't be taking much damage so your healers should be OK with it.

(3) You can use your Hyperspeed Accelerators on the cooldown (or at least, if you're picking and choosing when to use it, you can use it more than once...and it looks like you only use it once most of the time). I know it got nerfed a bit for 80 but it's still a nice boost.

(4) Do you know when it's best to use Wild Magic vs. Potion of Speed? I noticed you mostly use Wild Magic and usually only once if you do pot at all. It's the end of the expac and ppl are lazy but don't you fall into that trap! Also, DON'T GET FANCY, JUST GET DANCY.

spiritualus
User

Postby spiritualus » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:52 pm

If you were to be accepted you wouldn't really get much of a trial until we started doing real content in a few weeks. are you comfortable with this? are you confident enough with your abilities that you're willing to do this?

I am quite comfortable with that. I have been playing, and raiding for a very long time. I feel that once on an even footing (ie, no healer dps trinket hurp derp), I'll be able to show you better what I am capable of, anyway.

the dps rotation you showed in your app is for 85, correct? did you practice this on the beta servers?

The DPS rotation is indeed for 85. It applies to 80 as well, as long as you ignore the Dark Evengelism/Archangel/OMFG GO SUPER SAIYAN bits. I didn't practice it on the beta- I am probably the only person in the world without it. I did however put it together by studying parses and spell breakdowns from beta raid testers, as well as a healthy dose of theorycraft on my end.

since you're changing specs from disc to shadow it's also important that you're 100% sure that you want to stay shadow since we don't really have a spot for another priest healer right now. overall a good app. i like that you've put quite a bit of effort into making a unique application and are very straight-forward with your answers. i also like that you're willing to go troll for a free dps trinket

Yes, I want to play shadow. It's a fun spec in PVE and PVP. I've been a tank or healer since 2004. I want to DPS. As for going troll, I intend to, once I can budget it in. I know it's not a lot of money, but I'm just some dude going to college living off of his GI bill. It will happen soonish, but not tomorrow.

(1) Pick up Sin and Punishment. You're forgoing a good cooldown-reducing/DPS-increasing ability for Phantasm/Psychic Scream/Silence. Also, it doesn't look like you're using your fiend often at all. He's huge DPS.

Having a quick glance at my armory, I didn't respec after doing some PVP last night. My normal PVE spec includes SnP. I've included a link to the PVE spec I normally run with below:
[url]http://wowtal.com/#k=a5JbYUOQ.a8t.priest.
[/url]
And this, which is what my spec will be at 85.
[url]http://wowtal.com/#k=a5FUSxSR.a8t.priest.
[/url]

Sometimes you sexecute, sometimes you don't...but your beautifully illustrated picture shows that you know you should. How do you prioritize it <25% ? Like on Princes, you only used it twice, but they're under 25% for a while and you shouldn't be taking much damage so your healers should be OK with it.

Emphasis is on the word should. Nobody said anything directly to me, but having been left at pretty low health on a couple bosses prior after double-deathing, I took it as a message. If heals were gonna be slow to come, or not come at all, hitting myself that hard is too risky, and the DPS increase from SW:D isn't enough to justify death.

You can use your Hyperspeed Accelerators on the cooldown (or at least, if you're picking and choosing when to use it, you can use it more than once...and it looks like you only use it once most of the time). I know it got nerfed a bit for 80 but it's still a nice boost.

I have nothing to say here other than at the time I was very, very new to engineering, and Wasn't quite used to having that extra button to push yet. That wont be an issue in the future. I've since set up the same alert system for my accelerators that I use for every other CD.

Do you know when it's best to use Wild Magic vs. Potion of Speed? I noticed you mostly use Wild Magic and usually only once if you do pot at all. It's the end of the expac and ppl are lazy but don't you fall into that trap! Also, DON'T GET FANCY, JUST GET DANCY.

It probably hurts my app to say this, but honesty is better than some convoluted excuse. Yeah, it's the end of the expac, I didn't have a ton of pots left, and I didn't want to spend more money on them that can be better used at 85 pre-raid in cata. I pretty much saved my pots for lust, pre-potting on H-LK, or if I felt I really needed to try to force a new fiend with Sin and Punishment. I know I didn't pre-pot every fight, and I know some fights I didn't at all. That's not how I approach progression, or even farm content in 99% of situations.

Also, speaking of dancy,
amidoinitrite?

Greyknight
User

Postby Greyknight » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:04 pm

seems like a interesting fellow just from reading his app.

malyse
User

Postby malyse » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:14 pm

KK.... let me just stress that you need to use your fiend b/c if you did have Sin and Punishment and you weren't using him much, that's a huge loss. You can also regem your belt for 7 easy SP. That's a good bonus.

Holy shit that sketch of Ted Danson looks like Christopher Walken a bit and it's mindfucking me.

Return to “Guild Application - Accepted”