Kelustu
User

Chickas - Rogue

Postby Kelustu » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:09 pm

Player information:
- Age & Location: 26, living in Brooklyn NY

- Number of Testicles: 2

- Do you use a blizzard authenticator? If not, why? Yes

- How long have you played WoW: I started in vanilla, played through WoTLK, quit until MoP, finished Siege on highest difficulty, quit because WoD blew, back now.

- Endgame experience (What bosses have you killed): MoP is probably the most relevant here, so I did all through Siege and Throne with Addiction back in MoP, who I think is on the same server.

- Prior guild(s) & your reasons for leaving: Joined a guild at the start of BFA. Slow progression would be less of an issue if people were motivated to succeed, but the average ilvl of the group is below 340, and half our raid is regularly below the tank in DPS. They're a nice group of guys, but I want to clear content with some potential for success.

Character Information:
- Name & Class: Chickas, Rogue.

- Link to battle.net Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... er/Chickas
Warcraftlogs page here: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... fficulty=3

- Main-spec, off-spec, and how often do you play your off-spec? Currently playing Outlaw, but prefer Sin. I play all three specs at least a little bit each week to stay fresh, though I'd be the first to admit I need more practice as Sub.

- Explain your normal rotation and spell/ability priorities: Well, I'm outlaw. So my rotation is basically: Sinister Strike anywhere from 1-4 times depending on RNG, Roll the Bones, repeat about 45 times until a good roll comes up, then SS+Dispatch. Adrenaline Rush, Vanish, Berserking, and Blade Rush or Killing Spree used on CD (unless a priority add or phase is about to come up). Blade flurry if there's any cleave, Pistol Shot if opportunity procs, Between the Eyes only when Relentless Precision is up.

- Explain your choice of gear for main & offspecs (include stat priorities and breakpoints): Breakpoints have *sort of* gone away for outlaw, with stat priorities being a bit more fluid. Currently, there's a slight priority towards crit and vers given current sims, but only slightly above mastery. Haste is a lower priority stat because I had stacked so much for Sin.

For Sin, haste is the most important stat by a large margin. Gear basically revolves around that now that Shrouded Suffocation got nerfed. Sharpened Blades or Uldir traits are the best current options.

- Where do you do most of your research & testing to improve your character?
Icy-Veins has been moderately helpful, but the majority of how I've ever actually improved is a combination of sims and testing stuff for myself. Batting ideas around with other rogues has also worked well.

- Why should we accept you over anyone else of your class/spec?
Because I'll gladly sacrifice a GCD to actually use feint or to get out of mechanics, and I'm a big boy that can handle criticism.

Other Information:
- A Screenshot of your character's UI in a raid:

- Logs from warcraftlogs:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... fficulty=3

- What kind of computer do you use? CPU/Memory/Video Card? Typical FPS during mythic raid?\
Built it. Honestly forget all the specs inside, but know that I'm using a vega64 GPU, and 16gbs memory.

- Why Simple Math? How did you find us? Is there anyone you know in Simple Math?
I actually applied here back in MoP but wound up going to Addiction at the last minute.

- Run a speed test and ping test targeting New York. Link the results below.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/7652125349

- Finally, we ask that you draw a picture using MS Paint (Windows) or Paintbrush (macOS).

Have to go take the train to work, figured I'd sum up my feelings.

grouch
Admin

Re: Chickas - Rogue

Postby grouch » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:19 pm

where in brooklyn, if you don't mind me asking?
you would not feel sadness
if you never tasted joy

Kelustu
User

Postby Kelustu » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:30 pm

On the border between Clinton Hill, Prospect Heights, Crown Heights and Bedstuy. Basically, go east of Barclays for about a mile.

grouch
Admin

Postby grouch » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:40 pm

ah, i used to live in greenpoint a few blocks from the graham ave L stop. moved out of the city a few years ago.

for reference, here is the first app from 2013 - looking back, what would you have done differently in that first application? how have you improved in the last five years as a player?
you would not feel sadness
if you never tasted joy

Kelustu
User

Postby Kelustu » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:07 pm

Yep - also was a different account. Short version is: I wanted to use the glad mounts that the rogue had on that account, this one they're all stuck on my druid.

Re: the app, I probably would have taken some of the questions from people a bit more seriously and better explained how I do things. I do think it was an issue in how to convey my thoughts as a player. In blunt honesty, I don't know how to compare how I've grown as a player in 5 years. As mentioned, I joined Addiction, quickly had a slew of parses that were top25 in the US, with a chunk in the top10, and then quit the game when WoD dropped a few months later (as many people did, I hear).

Because I didn't play either of the last two expansions, there wasn't much time for me to actually grow or learn much while not playing. But I've definitely become more involved in comparing myself to others and to sims to figure out the bits and pieces of my rotation that may be off here and there.

Mooby
User

Postby Mooby » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:36 pm

Hey applicant, I'm Paranoia, the resident Rogue and raid leader of Simple Math. I just have a few questions and concerns about your application before we go further.

Kelustu wrote:- Main-spec, off-spec, and how often do you play your off-spec? Currently playing Outlaw, but prefer Sin. I play all three specs at least a little bit each week to stay fresh, though I'd be the first to admit I need more practice as Sub.

Why play Outlaw when it is the weakest of the three specs currently, and so heavily based on RNG for DPS?

Kelustu wrote:- Explain your normal rotation and spell/ability priorities: Well, I'm outlaw. So my rotation is basically: Sinister Strike anywhere from 1-4 times depending on RNG, Roll the Bones, repeat about 45 times until a good roll comes up, then SS+Dispatch. Adrenaline Rush, Vanish, Berserking, and Blade Rush or Killing Spree used on CD (unless a priority add or phase is about to come up). Blade flurry if there's any cleave, Pistol Shot if opportunity procs, Between the Eyes only when Relentless Precision is up.

Can you explain your logic on when to reroll and when to keep buffs? Is it not a DPS increase to use Between the Eyes on cooldown to utilize your Deadshot traits?

Kelustu wrote:- Where do you do most of your research & testing to improve your character?
Icy-Veins has been moderately helpful, but the majority of how I've ever actually improved is a combination of sims and testing stuff for myself. Batting ideas around with other rogues has also worked well.

Rogues arguably have some of the best theorycrafters in the game, and a site / discord that all of them use. So why wouldn't you use a resource such as Ravenholdt over a copy paste site like Icy Veins?

Your neck level is still only 20, which is falling behind at this point with the azerite requirement nerfs. Is this the lack of work ethic I can expect if we decide to bring you in as a trial?

Not having even cleared normal Uldir is also highly concerning as many pugs are capable of doing this now. Even if your current guild is not progressing fully through normal, or even killing a third boss in heroic, don't you believe it would beneficial to try and pug some bosses to try to get some gear and experience in a fight before applying to mythic level guilds?

Looking forward to your responses.
After earning enough Combo Points, the Rogue's next finisher will include fries and a drink.

Kelustu
User

Postby Kelustu » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:53 pm

"Why play Outlaw when it is the weakest of the three specs currently, and so heavily based on RNG for DPS?'

So, this sort of isn't true. Outlaw sims right in between Sin and Sub for DPS currently, with a lower end and higher high end than both other specs. The reason Outlaw is significantly less common in the Mythic top20 world guilds is due to items. It's easy to set your loot spec to sub or sin and switch back and forth, but switching to outlaw means you don't get dagger drops. There is huge RNG here in how wildly it can spike, but again, it's median range is decidedly above Assassination right now after the SS nerfs.

The rather simplistic way to look at it is that Sub is the highest single target spec that requires particular conditions to work properly (less frequent target swapping), Sin is the spec that's easiest to match your Sim DPS on, but currently has a lower max bar, and Outlaw is somewhere between the two. Outlaw is also significantly easier to get going in an uncoordinated situation, and of course, is strong on add- and cleave-heavy fights. Given that Zek is my guild's current issue, I rolled for a mace and went Outlaw.

Pretty healthy breakdown here between specs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/ranki ... lass=Rogue

"Can you explain your logic on when to reroll and when to keep buffs? Is it not a DPS increase to use Between the Eyes on cooldown to utilize your Deadshot traits?'

No, not with the current state of Deadshot. Keep Grand Melee and Relentless Precision, or keep 2+. Lately I've been keeping a few others during Adrenaline Rush or Bloodlust as you energy cap anyways.

"Rogues arguably have some of the best theorycrafters in the game, and a site / discord that all of them use. So why wouldn't you use a resource such as Ravenholdt over a copy paste site like Icy Veins?"

Ravenholdt has died down pretty significantly from where it used to be and there's a lot of reputation coasting. It's still a fine resource, but it's not any significantly better than the broad strokes overview on IV, which for most classes is just a starting point. I certainly read Ravenholdt, but it's not what it once was. The discord is more helpful.

"Your neck level is still only 20, which is falling behind at this point with the azerite requirement nerfs. Is this the lack of work ethic I can expect if we decide to bring you in as a trial?"

I chose to prioritize. I also have a demanding job. There's no current benefit to leveling my necklace above level 20 for major purposes beyond the Ilvl and flat stats, and the diminishing returns are absolutely still there, even if reduced. Current Trait gear isn't requiring higher levels for any useful traits, and spamming mythic+ has been a significantly more useful way for me to get gearing.

I've done my weekly expeditions, relevant WQs when I can, and any other timely efficient ways to get the heart level up, like Warfront turnins. I don't know if bashing your face into every 250 azerite power shard world quest is the best indicator of someone's effort, but rather of their level of free time. To add some numbers to this - it takes 14k AP to get from 20 to 21. Every AP WQ I currently see on the map is offering 230-250+25%. Averaging between the ranges nets you about 300 AP per, if you're running warmode. One level would then take roughly 50 world quests. Island Expeditions reward about 250, so a similar amount compared to the WQs. An Island Expedition is roughly 12 minutes, counting queue times.

Asking that people bash their head into island expeditions for a 2ilvl upgrade on an item that isn't going to do anything but those 2 ilvls at the current time seems misplaced, when you can net much more impactful upgrades in dungeon running.

"Not having even cleared normal Uldir is also highly concerning as many pugs are capable of doing this now. Even if your current guild is not progressing fully through normal, or even killing a third boss in heroic, don't you believe it would beneficial to try and pug some bosses to try to get some gear and experience in a fight before applying to mythic level guilds?"

Beneficial, sure. Required, no. PUG normals overstack raids and ignore mechanics and functionally have minimal differences to LFR. I had no time last week to do the pug, and I've pugged a few bosses this week. I'm pugging heroic, as well. Obviously experience on the target helps, but only if it's actual experience, and not ignoring mechanics with an over-stacked normal mode pug. At a 360 ilvl, there's not much that's dropping from normal mode that is even wearable for me, so it's not particularly useful to "get some gear." Again, I'll be pugging it this week and weekend, but given that week 1 pugs were awful, week 2 I had family in town, and this week just started, it's not particularly insane that I'd be prioritizing more efficient ways to stay relevant.

Mooby
User

Postby Mooby » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:07 pm

At this time we are going to go ahead and pass on this application.

Best of luck!
After earning enough Combo Points, the Rogue's next finisher will include fries and a drink.

Kelustu
User

Postby Kelustu » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:18 pm

yeah, that's not a shock. As a general tip, I wouldn't suggest to people applying that they be able to handle criticism (aka: be challenged), but then espouse things that are simply not true or effective, then balk when shown evidence.

Kelustu
User

Postby Kelustu » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:24 pm

Wait did you guys drop that shitter Troll Rogue?

Mooby
User

Postby Mooby » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:53 am

Yes Mr. Taylor, that shitter Troll Rogue got bored of the game.

Clammy
User

Postby Clammy » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:04 am

Kelustu monkaS

Return to “Guild Application - Denied”