HPally Application

Even Baddier Baddies
Vartonis
User

HPally Application

Postby Vartonis » Thu May 18, 2017 9:30 am

Player information:
- Age & Location: 35 Upstate NY - Sorry Grouch, NYC sucks
- Number of Testicles: I still have 2, though in college I had a couch if you sat in the wrong spot you could easily be sterilized.
- Do you use a blizzard authenticator? If not, why? Yes
- How long have you played WoW: Since Vanilla
- Endgame experience (What bosses have you killed):
Vanilla:
Spent all my time leveling and being a moron on my druid. I didn't join a "raid guild" till the end of the expansion. I did MC a couple of times, failed. Then, I found out about PVP servers and I rerolled.

BC:

All content through the full clearing of Sunwell, prenerf. M'uru still haunts my dreams.
I think I was one of the few holy paladins to get an amani warbear early on in ZA. I remember at the time most guilds wouldn't take one on ZA speed runs.

Wrath:

I did all the content through the pre 3.1 raid achievos for the black protodrake. It's so ugly, but I keep using it. Mostly for the whispers on how to get it. It's sort of fun making up things for people to try to do. I quit after spending progression in Ulduar the first week. I was on my last spring break. We were raiding from 2pm to 1am. I wasted my whole week, being sober.

- Prior guild(s) & your reasons for leaving:

<Sublime> - Lightninghoof
There all through BC. Left to join <Simple Math> ended up backing out (Dunsparrow...jesus christ) I actually leveled my paladin here hordeside before joining <Sublime>. I wasn't in any good guilds. I just remember Dunsparrow flame wars, and his terrible trade chat RP monologues. Joined <Reckoning> instead, when they were on Lightninghoof, before Mannoroth, before going horde themselves.

<Reckoning> - Did through Naxx with them in Wrath - I started PvPing more and being casual. I had just finished grad school, and decided I was tired of the hardcore progression and nonsense. I just wanted to drink more, mostly.

Those are my two notable guilds. Now I'm in:

<Something Original> - a "raid" guild on Emerald Dream. We are 4/10M. Very casual, but lately I'm getting frustrated. To me casual means not raiding for 5 days a week at 5-10 hour clips. It doesn't mean it's okay to die to beam on Krosus 183 times. Literally, 183 times. Plus, we never call anyone out...because casual.

Character Information:
- Name & Class: Vartonis - Holy Paladin

- Link to battle.net Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... m/vartonis

- Race, professions & why you chose them: Human because every other alliance race is ugly. Well, so are humans. Used to be a belfadin. I am a BS/JC because in BC that was good for min/maxing, and previously it gave some good bonuses. Now, I just keep it because I have all the rare recipes and fun stuff on it.

- Main-spec, off-spec, and how often do you play your off-spec? I'm holy. I ret on occassion. I use it for WQ, and sometimes in PVP, if I'm bored.

- Explain your normal rotation and spell/ability priorities:

Well, I normally play in Melee. I use bestow faith on CD, HS on CD, and LOD nearly always on CD. So, for example....
If I'm on Krosus I'll JoL right before Orb damage, HS, LOD, then use my two IoL procs to top off the melee/raid. I do my best to keep HS on CD, even if using it for DPS to get as many procs as I can. I also judge before casting any large heal or LoD. I also keep up RoL as much as possible.

Basic healing priority for Hpallies focuses around maximizing HS/LOD/IoL procs.

- How many artifact traits do you have in your weapons (all specs)? I have 48 in my holy weapon, 42 in my Ret weapon, 38 in my prot weapon. I should be higher in my holy weapon. The 52nd point is great. 46-51 are so freaking boring. It got hard to stay motivated knowing that I was just getting boring points. I realize this is a lazy lazy answer. It's the end of the school year in NY. So, it's a busy time for me as an educator. Plus, it was lambing season last month. I've really had time to log on to raid and do WQ...not much else.

- Which legendaries do you have? Are you currently farming any? I have Prydaz, Iterendi, Velen's, Maraad's, Boots, Gloves, & Belt. I'm hoping for the ret helm or cloak. I used to want the shoulders pretty bad, but, they aren't as great now as they were in the beginning of the xpac. Prydaz and Iterendi are arguably the best combo for raids, Velen's is pretty close. But, if you're good you can get more effective HPS from Prydaz over Velen's.

- Explain your choice of gear for main & offspecs (include stat priorities and breakpoints): I stack crit. Ideally, I'd be at 45%. But, with this content it's been a challenge. Food buffed I sit at 42%, so I'm at nearly 100% crit for holy shock. After 45% the value of crit nosedives.

Mastery, in theory is one of our strongest stats if we can be positioned properly. I tend to favor:

Crit > Mastery = Versatility > Haste

For my Ret pally:

Haste > Crit > Versatility > Mastery

For ret I sit at about 21% haste, 26% crit. I will admit, I haven't farmed the right relics. I'm gimped in my ret set. Not having the extended wings, hurts. Having the belt is nice - but I don't have a solid second leggo to go with it. I sim at 500k and I pull 550-600k on some fights when asked to go ret.

- Where do you do most of your research & testing to improve your character? I am an avid forum poster. I also frequent the pally discord. Most of my research is done by asking those who are better than me (I stalk parses and compare stats all the time). I also keep the spreadsheet from sacred shielding updated. Though, I don't often get the same results it says I should. It's still good for theory crafting.

Other Information:
- A Screenshot of your character's UI in a raid: I will send this from home.

- Logs from warcraftlogs or worldoflogs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... m/vartonis

- What kind of computer do you use? CPU/Memory/Video Card? Typical FPS during mythic raid?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Mini Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA 600W B1 80+ Bronze
Case: MasterBox 5 Black Mid-tower

I hover about 50-75 FPS in raid. It was a nice, inexpensive build.

- Why should we accept you over anyone else of your class/spec? I think I bring a good mix of performance and not dying to stupid things. I honestly feel like my parses could be better - but - we run things pretty wonky in our raids. For example, I'm never allowed to maximize CDs unless I disobey raid orders. I'm stuck in range a lot not able to get off proper LoD. Plus, we 4-5 heal everything - even farm content. It's boring.

- Why Simple Math? How did you find us? Is there anyone you know in Simple Math? You guys were infamous in BC. I think Xiun is a member, still. I used to mess around with her and Vikros in wrath.

- Run a speed test and ping test targeting New York. Link the results below. Will do this from home. I have fios and live in NY. So, I'm not worried.

- Finally, we ask that you draw a picture using MS Paint (Windows) or Paintbrush (macOS). Well, since I raise and show netherland dwarf rabbits - here's a logo I made for myself:

http://s308.photobucket.com/user/Rettri ... 0.png.html

Vartonis
User

Re: HPally Application

Postby Vartonis » Thu May 18, 2017 10:01 am

Pic of my UI I pilfered off my discord app. I play on a 55" TV, sometimes.

grouch
Admin

Postby grouch » Thu May 18, 2017 10:31 am

Vartonis wrote:- Age & Location: 35 Upstate NY - Sorry Grouch, NYC sucks

i'm not sure i can deal with someone who says these things.

Vartonis wrote:Left to join <Simple Math> ended up backing out (Dunsparrow...jesus christ) I actually leveled my paladin here hordeside before joining <Sublime>. I wasn't in any good guilds. I just remember Dunsparrow flame wars, and his terrible trade chat RP monologues.

i'm so sorry about that...

Vartonis wrote:- Race, professions & why you chose them: Human because every other alliance race is ugly.

what would you choose if you were horde and why?

Vartonis wrote:- How many artifact traits do you have in your weapons (all specs)? I have 48 in my holy weapon, 42 in my Ret weapon, 38 in my prot weapon.

while having two 40+ weapons has it's pros i'd focus on that main spec weapon a bit more :)

i noticed that you don't really do lfr, while not a huge deal it's a quick way to get some ap, crystals, and a shot at legendaries (i've gotten two in lfr). any particular reason?

Vartonis wrote:we 4-5 heal everything - even farm content. It's boring.

luckily most of our healers are open to playing dps on farm content in order to speed up kills or sitting for a few bosses (or for the evening), are you open to both of these options?

Vartonis wrote:I think Xiun is a member, still. I used to mess around with her

you and everyone else

Vartonis wrote:I have fios

dick.

Vartonis wrote:- Finally, we ask that you draw a picture using MS Paint (Windows) or Paintbrush (macOS). Well, since I raise and show netherland dwarf rabbits - here's a logo I made for myself:

what are the chances you could do one for us?
you would not feel sadness
if you never tasted joy

Vartonis
User

Postby Vartonis » Thu May 18, 2017 11:30 am

I guess NYC is okay - sort of. I am going there next weekend. Bronx Zoo and the Museum. I guess there's bits that are okay...kind of. Blart.

I am torn on racial - arcane torrent is still really good. Brawn is REALLY good considering how crit dependent pallies are in the holy spec. But, then I'd be an ugly cow. Brawn really is basically half a drape of shame.

I'm open to DPSing. I do a gentleman's 600k. I think with some mythic + farming (and trilliax not being a scumbag and dropping my relic I've bonus rolled every week since we put him on farm) I'd increase to about 750-800k my ret set isn't fully optimized.

I enjoy LFR, but, real life has eaten my weekends. It's the end of the school year, and lambing season. There's just not a lot of time between raids due to RL at the moment. I make sure I do all my AP WQ daily. It will get better in the next several weeks though. Mostly, I just want summer to hit so I can sit around for long hours with no pants on.

Xaphus
User

Postby Xaphus » Thu May 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks for applying!

We're reviewing your application and will get back to you here or on bnet by the end of the day.

Xaphus

Xaphus
User

Postby Xaphus » Thu May 18, 2017 5:49 pm

Message me in-game whenever you have a chance so we can chat on Discord :)

Xaphus

Xiun
User

Postby Xiun » Fri May 19, 2017 2:59 am

Vartonis wrote:[
- Why Simple Math? How did you find us? Is there anyone you know in Simple Math? You guys were infamous in BC. I think Xiun is a member, still. I used to mess around with her and Vikros in wrath.

Whoaa people still remember my goofy ass from back in BC? I'm flattered.

Overall good app though, and parses/logs can be so wonky for healers depending on CD stacking, #of heals and how bad your raid is (more damage better logs :S) don't sweat it too bad, hopefully things will improve

Vartonis
User

Postby Vartonis » Fri May 19, 2017 8:07 am

Dazzma says "hi".

Return to “Guild Application - Denied”