Online Game Addiction

Discuss all WoW-related things here.
MichaleS
User

Online Game Addiction

Postby MichaleS » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:15 pm

Hello!

If you play Online Games, the University of South Florida is asking for your help!

We are currently running a study to examine the effects of Online Game Addiction and are looking for volunteers to fill out a short online survey. Anyone who plays online video games, whether they play a lot or a little, is invited to please take our survey. The purpose of the study is to try to understand more about people who get addicted to online games and why people might get addicted to them in the first place. Ultimately, we would also like to understand what factors might help protect someone from experiencing negative side effects from playing online games, and how people can incorporate online video games into a healthy lifestyle.

I would also like to point out that the point of this study is NOT to paint video games in a negative light - my goal in pursuing this line of research is to understand how people can still play and enjoy video games without getting to the point where other areas of their life might suffer.

The survey is completely anonymous, and is hosted by a survey program run by the University of South Florida. We don't ask for your name, we don't collect your IP address information, and we don't collect any other information besides what you provide for us by answering questions on the survey.

If you would like to help us obtain a better understanding of the effects of Online Game Addiction, please follow this link to our survey:

http://hsccm2.hsc.usf.edu/checkbox/Surv ... veyid=5427

Thank you so much for your time and help!

P.S.

I was given approval from the forum admin before posting this link.

malyse
User

Postby malyse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:46 pm

Taking this survey made me feel good about myself, because I'm not a sad depressed lump vaguely resembling something human.

Komarimono
User

Postby Komarimono » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:01 pm

I work with games, so felt odd taking this survey.

Zoomkin
User

Postby Zoomkin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:12 am

I'm addicted to fun.
Image Image

Hairy
User

Postby Hairy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:17 am

keylogger! fo sho!

Also HI ZOOMKINYS

MichaleS
User

Not a keylogger

Postby MichaleS » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:39 am

It's not a keylogger, and it's not spam (in the advertisement for money sense, I guess - or anything harmful for your computer.) It's just a simple survey - and it's hosted by the University of South Florida.

You're welcome to contact any of my direct supervisors if you wish (they are in Florida, however, so I would recommend email unless you wanna pay long distance, but whatever floats your boat). Or if you have some other way to verify it's from USF, or that the site doesn't have a keylogger, go ahead. I just don't want anyone to be shy away from taking it out of fear of having something done to their computer / account.

Best regards

Asminth
User

Re: Not a keylogger

Postby Asminth » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:23 pm

MichaleS wrote:It's not a keylogger, and it's not spam (in the advertisement for money sense, I guess - or anything harmful for your computer.) It's just a simple survey - and it's hosted by the University of South Florida.

You're welcome to contact any of my direct supervisors if you wish (they are in Florida, however, so I would recommend email unless you wanna pay long distance, but whatever floats your boat). Or if you have some other way to verify it's from USF, or that the site doesn't have a keylogger, go ahead. I just don't want anyone to be shy away from taking it out of fear of having something done to their computer / account.

Best regards

He was simply trolling :P Many of our raiders took this survey already and I'm sure numerous guests to our forums have with no issues.

malyse
User

Postby malyse » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Question though for you, survey guy..... it seemed like some of the questions were biased...Ie.. the ones that reference "your symptoms" and how they relate to your daily life. That kind of language doesn't seem like it'd be conducive towards maintaining a neutral survey methodology.

grouch
Admin

Postby grouch » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:34 pm

malyse wrote:Question though for you, survey guy..... it seemed like some of the questions were biased...Ie.. the ones that reference "your symptoms" and how they relate to your daily life. That kind of language doesn't seem like it'd be conducive towards maintaining a neutral survey methodology.

i would agree with this - while doing the survey i felt like i was being asked "so tell me the severity of your existing problem" as opposed to "tell me about your behavior." it does feel like the results are pre-determined and this survey is just a formality.
you would not feel sadness
if you never tasted joy

vix
User

Postby vix » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:45 pm

Read up on the guy conducting it and you'll know why lol. I don't mean that in a bad way but it makes sense if you see it.

I did it and it made me feel great about myself.

MichaleS
User

Bias in the questions

Postby MichaleS » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:57 pm

Well, I hope the survey questions didn't seem too, too bad.

Unfortunately, when doing research like this, a lot of the time you have to work with what questions / surveys (measurements) are already out there, and have been validated by published research articles. I actually didn't make up any of the questions on here myself (aside from a short few of the demographic questions). About 95% of the questions on the survey are from actual questionnaires that existed beforehand, from published studies (such as the depression / anxiety / stress scale, or the social support scale). I hope you didn't take them as being too biased, because I'm sure that's the last thing that the people who created the scales would want from them. All I can say is they have done a lot of research on the issues before creating the survey, and most of them have published validity.

But, if a lot of people are feeling that way, I'm glad someone has mentioned it, so I can keep it in mind while working with the results.

Thank you for everyone who has taken / will take the time to fill out this survey, once again!

hydra
User

Postby hydra » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:37 pm

I AM A DUMB STUPID NIGGER WHO LIKES DICKS SHOVED IN EVERY ORIFICE.

ALSO ON THAT NOTE, I REALLY HOPE A BIG BEAR RAPES ME IN A DIRTY WHORE-RIDDEN ALLEY.
Minty wrote:FUCK YOU HYDRA TAKE YOUR SIG OFF YOU CRACKA ASS MUTHA FUCKA DATS CARBONS TO USE OR NOT USE.... I'm tellin grouchhhhh.

Breakz
User

Postby Breakz » Mon May 09, 2011 2:40 am

hydra wrote:I AM A DUMB STUPID NIGGER WHO LIKES DICKS SHOVED IN EVERY ORIFICE.

ALSO ON THAT NOTE, I REALLY HOPE A BIG BEAR RAPES ME IN A DIRTY WHORE-RIDDEN ALLEY.

we should hang

Harmless
User

Postby Harmless » Mon May 09, 2011 10:22 pm

Which campus? >_>

Return to “Public Discussion”