- Age & Location: 22, USA
- Number of Testicles: 3 ⅕
- Do you use a blizzard authenticator? If not, why? Yes I do
- How long have you played WoW: Since oct ‘06
- Endgame experience (What bosses have you killed):

Cata: 3 heroic bosses in a casual group – Morchok, ultraxion and the ooze guy
MoP: Minor progression with heorics in 25 ToT
Full 14/14 heroic clear in 25 SoO
Anything else has been either a teir after the raid released or just random PuG groups. Before MoP I normally PvP’d

Character Information:
- Name, & Class: Xiun, Mage
- Link to Battle.net Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/w ... iun/simple
- Race & why you chose it:
Troll – Berserking is by far the best for mages, and using it with AT just makes it even more powerful. Beast slaying is also an added bonus for thok/ ToT bosses (when that mattered). Willing to swap if other races surpass troll in the X-pack
- Professions and why you choose them:
Ench/eng. Eng for the utility as well as the synapse springs (which can be abused w/ AT). Rocket boosts/glider also can be helpful in maneuvering. Enchanting for the static int bonus and to make enchants for my toons/guildies and not have to break bank.
- Spec, Dual spec. How often do you play other specs?
Arcane, OS frost. I frequently will play frost (I do a lot of CMs as well as pvp as frost). I play frost on malkorok and H garrosh if in kite group, H siege if on belt.
- Explain your choice of gear for main & offspecs (include stat priorities and breakpoints):
Arcane: Hit 15% > Mastery > Haste > Crit
Frost: Hit 15% > Haste to 50% raid buffed> Mastery > haste > crit.
I can switch between the two sets easily b/c of similar gear priority. Normally I will use my arcane setup when I play frost, but during progression fights I reforged/gemmed to better suit a frost setup.

- Explain your normal rotation and spell/ability priorities:

Frost: Frostbolt as a fillar, FFB as soon as it procs. Keep invocation as high an uptime as possible. Refresh LB at 2 or less sec, NT at 1 sec. If FoF procs, hold the proc until FFB procs for 2 set bonus, then use it after using FFB. Use FoF if it’s about to run out OR if a second FoF procs, then use a single charge and hold onto the FoF charge. Orb on CD.
Arcane: Highest priority is made to keep mana above 85% while attempting to not have it stay capped for long.
Arcane blast to 4 stacks. If a missile procs, save it to use at 4 stacks. If a second missile procs, use it immediately. At 4 stacks use all missile procs, weave missile procs and arcane blast until mana dips too low. The amount this happens depends on trinket procs and RNG of missiles. Once mana is too low, drop with an arcane barrage.
During AoE fights don’t sit at 4 stacks as long unless there is a target that needs to be burned down. Try to barrage cleave as often as possible.
Keep up and stand in rune of power, refresh LB at 2 or less seconds, refresh NT at 1 or less seconds.
For AoE fights abuse flamestrike and nether tempest.
For AT usage for both I check for PBoI trinket before using AT, then use my CD’s (IV/AP zerking) with AT.
For arcane I make sure I have 4 stacks of arcane blast before hitting AT. Once in AT I use missle procs, then spam arcane blast. Before AT ends I launch a barrage, then go into a semi-normal rotation (I make a priority to stay at 4 stacks as long as possible while cds and trinkets are up)
For frost, I do the normal rotation, using all procs before AT ends.

- Prior guild(s) & your reasons for leaving:
<Hype> was my SoO raiding guild. It fell apart due to player burnout, roster issue etc and I left to play w/ friends on another server.
My current guild is <the Hush> which is a casual/social guild. They don’t do much/high end raiding, simply there for friends.

Other Information:
- A Screenshot of your character's UI: http://i.imgur.com/1CpAtdj.jpg
- Logs from warcraftlogs or worldoflogs:
These are my most recent logs - http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/329279/
This is with a guild that is rebuilding/new to SoO, so there is a bit of wonky stuff in there, I apologize. Sha of pride looks pretty bad due to needing to run across the room about 4 times every rotation lol.
- Why Simple Math? How did you find us? Is there anyone you know in Simple Math?
I learned about SM first from Deance/Dance. I’ve heard good things about the guild. I’m also looking to push myself into higher end raiding. I want to improve and push myself as far as I can as a player, and I feel that Simple Math would be a great place to do so.
- What kind of computer do you use? CPU/Memory/Video Card? Typical FPS during a 25-man raid?
8 GB ram, AMD 3.8 GHz, Radeon graphics. Normally 25-40 FPS. This is at ultra settings, so if lag issues occur turning down unnecessary graphics (like shadows and view distance) improves the FPS so my raid performance doesn’t suffer
- Run an internet speed test against New York at speedtest.net and pingtest.net. Link the results below.

- Finally, we ask that you draw us a picture using MS Paint (Windows) or Paintbrush (OSX). Link it below.

Meeps
User

Re: Xiun - Mage

Postby Meeps » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:52 pm

I vote yes, best MS paint.

Covial
User

Postby Covial » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:05 pm

Do you not enjoy playing fire? If so, would you be willing to switch to fire if it pulls ahead of the other specs in WoD.

Rude
User

Postby Rude » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:08 pm

What are you looking for in a guild? Quick and precise progression? A long-term home? What's more important to you, killing bosses in a top 25 pace (even if it's with people you may not enjoy) or simply raiding with people you truly like, finishing the tier whenever?

Epic paint but mentioning Dance cancels it out I'm afraid. :cry:
[12:18] [G] [Carbonlight]: is a fleshlight the "plug" or the "socket"?

Xiun
User

Postby Xiun » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:12 pm

Covial wrote:Do you not enjoy playing fire? If so, would you be willing to switch to fire if it pulls ahead of the other specs in WoD.

I prefer arcane over fire, but I am more than willing to play it (or any spec) that's the best.

I just got very lucky with haste/mastery drops lol

Rude wrote:What are you looking for in a guild? Quick and precise progression? A long-term home? What's more important to you, killing bosses in a top 25 pace (even if it's with people you may not enjoy) or simply raiding with people you truly like, finishing the tier whenever?

Epic paint but mentioning Dance cancels it out I'm afraid. :cry:

A little bit of everything? Haha.

I'm looking to progress at a fast pace, but I also enjoy the social aspects of raiding as well. I'd say I'd rather raid with people I enjoy instead of killing bosses, but I do love the environment of progression raiding.

Dance
User

Postby Dance » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:36 pm

Xiun is one of the few good players to come out of the backwater server we came from, she's a talented player, and easy to get along with so there won't be a Harmonyx repeat. I've been trying to poach her for months now, and I think she'd be a good fit for our roster.
#thestruggle

Logiks
User

Postby Logiks » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:39 pm

Greetings, mage friend. A few questions for you:
-How, if at all, do you keep track of your class/gear/profession related procs/buffs? In other words, how do you know when you're standing in RoP, when your trinkets are up, etc? (your ui screenshot unfortunately doesn't answer this question satisfactorily)
-Could you explain your stat selection a little more clearly? Why is that specific amount of haste preferable? How does it compare to current popular haste caps?
- I'm curious why you would choose frost over arcane on Malkorok, considering Malk is arguably one of the most patchwerk fights in the instance, and arcane generally shines on patchwerk-esque fights (low movement, high rune uptime, etc.). Which spec can you use to kill bosses fastest, regardless of DPS
-Could you explain your bomb selection, and alter time usage in a bit more in depth?

and a question not specific to mages:
-What makes you feel like you could maintain a competitive spot in our roster, moreso than other applicants (or even guildies, considering the soon to be downsizing of 25 man raids)?

thanks and good luck on your app
*Bloodlust noise*

Xiun
User

Postby Xiun » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:51 pm

Logiks wrote:Greetings, mage friend. A few questions for you:
-How, if at all, do you keep track of your class/gear/profession related procs/buffs? In other words, how do you know when you're standing in RoP, when your trinkets are up, etc? (your ui screenshot unfortunately doesn't answer this question satisfactorily)

I use weak auras for it all.

Here is another SS of my UI showing where i watch my trinket procs (Meta gem is in the same area, but not showing up in SS): http://i.imgur.com/yCNYcbA.jpg
for RoP (and invocation) I have a warning icon pop up when RoP isn't active. ( http://i.imgur.com/5QkwxJy.png) I keep a close eye on the flashing animations as well as having a good feel on how long RoP is active.
-Could you explain your stat selection a little more clearly? Why is that specific amount of haste preferable? How does it compare to current popular haste caps?

50% haste for frost is due to stacking anymore hast would put frostbolts under 1 second and no longer being able to lower the GCD, and it all results in a DPS loss. But haste is best for frost, more frostbolts is more IL procs, faste bomb ticks for more FFBs, and lower GCD so you can launch all your procs faster.

Mastery ends up being better than crit after that point in part because crit loses most of it's value after you hit the crit cap for shatter targets., but also because icicles can store a lot of damage from big FFB crits.

- I'm curious why you would choose frost over arcane on Malkorok, considering Malk is arguably one of the most patchwerk fights in the instance, and arcane generally shines on patchwerk-esque fights (low movement, high rune uptime, etc.). Which spec can you use to kill bosses fastest, regardless of DPS

I'm normally assigned a very large area to cover for soaks, as well as helping the two sections next to mine soak pools, so after every smash I'm moving to soak a pool (moving causing a dps drop, not to mention having to move out of my rune very often.) Also getting tossed up and out of rune as well, and arcing smash causing a lot of movement if RNG hates you.

I've played arcane on the fight and it's done alright, and I wouldn't be against playing it say, if I was back on progression, but for farm content I prefer to not get mad :P I also find my DPS doesn't go down much (I find it pulls more often) when playing frost on this fight. If I wasn't asigend so much area to cover for pools I would be a lot more inclined to play arcane as well
-Could you explain your bomb selection, and alter time usage in a bit more in depth?

I use living bomb on single target fights, or if there are 2-3 targets NOT stacked.

NT I use on multitarget fights or where there are 2+ targets stacked near eachother so NT can cleave. If there are adds on the fight but they DON'T last long enough for a duration of NT, I take LB (sha of pride and shamans are examples)

I take frostbomb on H immers to blast down the adds that spawn in p1, and if I'm on platform I will take frostbomb to help control and snare empowered mines (as well as DPS them down more effectively). I would prefer LB on seige, but the time I've done the fight if the mages didn't take Frost bomb the mines got too far out of control :P Otherwise I don't take frostbomb for any type of raiding.

As for alter time - on the opener I try to make sure i have all 3 of my pros (meta, both trinkets) and is arcane, 4 stacks of charge and as many missle procs as possible. When I hit AT, I use all missle procs and spam AB once they are expended. at one second left on AT I barrage. One AT is over I use missiles again and spam AB a bit (as I have mana gem rolling from when I used AT) and try to wave AB and AM as much as my mana allows to get as much damage out of the CDs.

Later on in the fight for At I normally try and wait for immers, but I won't hold the CDs for very long if it doesn't proc, but I attempt to always snap some trinket/meta proc with it.

I take the same approach w/ trinkets when playing frost and try to AT with a FFB and 2 FoF procs while orb is going (getting procs is not always possible though RNG fun)

I hope that cleared it up a bit?
and a question not specific to mages:
-What makes you feel like you could maintain a competitive spot in our roster, moreso than other applicants (or even guildies, considering the soon to be downsizing of 25 man raids)?

I put a lot of effort into raiding. I put in my best attempt every pull and treat it as if it would bea kill, even if I know there's no way we'd even get past phase one. Out of raids I take time to watch kill videos (especially ones by mages) read up on strats, talk to other mages on optimizing and tossing ideas back and forth between each other. I'm a vocal player when I need to be - If there's ever something I don't understand I will speak up, or if there's something I am in charge of I am vocal on vent to call things out. While I try to maximize my DPS as much as possible, I take a priority to do mechanics first. I keep a positive attitude even after hundreds of wipes on a single boss.

I'm also a hella cute troll

Logiks
User

Postby Logiks » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:30 am

-That screenshot helped me out a lot more than the other one, thanks! Exactly what I was looking for in the other SS.

-Interesting that you would mention excess haste past 50% as being a DPS loss for frost; there are actually several build variations for frost, and 2 that come to mind at the moment call for over 14.2k haste (i believe this is also the haste sweet spot for arcane atm too, if i'm not mistaken), and even one that likes haste to upwards of 18.3k! (albeit, this particular build is a multi dotting build based around snapshotting with the BBoYS trinket.

In short, haste is actually a really interesting stat for frost, and while mastery and icicles can cause big damage for single target, haste really shines on cleave/multi dot fights (which are frost's forte to begin with). As far as haste in arcane is concerned, make sure you're hitting the haste cap for the particular bomb you're planning to use, then ignore the stat altogether.

- If accepted for trial, you may find the way we soak on Malkorok more friendly to arcane play. Otherwise, what you said is entirely reasonable, although of the 3 specs, I personally would pick frost last on malk ;)

-All of the information about bombs and AT usage I found satisfactory, and as far as clarity is concerned, it's not that your original post was unclear, moreso our app is lacking questions specifically tailored to mages. The information you've provided has helped a good bit.

Xiun wrote:I put a lot of effort into raiding. I put in my best attempt every pull and treat it as if it would bea kill, even if I know there's no way we'd even get past phase one. Out of raids I take time to watch kill videos (especially ones by mages) read up on strats, talk to other mages on optimizing and tossing ideas back and forth between each other. I'm a vocal player when I need to be - If there's ever something I don't understand I will speak up, or if there's something I am in charge of I am vocal on vent to call things out. While I try to maximize my DPS as much as possible, I take a priority to do mechanics first. I keep a positive attitude even after hundreds of wipes on a single boss.

- I'll let guild admin look this part over, as I find that to be their place not mine. I haven't been able to analyze the log you posted carefully enough, and there isn't an epeenbot available for easy assessment, but from your posts, you seem like you know a fair amount, or at least care enough to pursue knowledge about your role.
*Bloodlust noise*

Return to “Guild Application - Denied”